PDA

View Full Version : Any healthy popcorn flavoring ideas?

ChristmasGirl
05-08-2005, 04:52 PM
I just got a hot air popper for Mother's Day, and would love any seasoning ideas, preferrably low-fat. I bought "I Can't Believe it's not butter" to melt and drip over it, but i'm wondering if the ICBINB spray would work better...anyone tried that? also, any suggestions for good things to top on it for some flavor? i love popcorn, but dry is not really appealing to me...TIA

Thia
05-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Make is kind of sweet with honey
garlic powder, taco seasoning, chili powder, seasoned salt

Allison
05-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Garlic salt or powder, paprika, chili powder, hot sauce, parmesan cheese, cajun seasoning, Greek seasoning

ArmsOfLove
05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I love it with margarine, garlic powder, salt and nutritional yeast--tastes like Cheetos :yum

findingjoy
05-10-2005, 01:54 PM
You could try a Misto to spray a little olive oil over it before putting on the other seasonings. It gives a nice flavor, but is a much healthier oil.

ChristmasGirl
05-10-2005, 02:37 PM
well, does nutrional yeast taste better than it smells? i sniffed it one time, and it didn't do anything for me :shrug but i haven't tried it, so maybe it's worth a shot. jlynn...what is "Misto"..is that the name brand of the spray?

ArmsOfLove
05-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Are you sure it was nutritional yeast and not brewer's yeast? by is nasty (but healthy ;) ) There are two kinds of NY--balls that are nutty flavored and yellow flakes that are cheesy flavored. I'm talking the flakes :grin

findingjoy
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
A Misto is a refillable oil sprayer. It doesn't work as well as a propellant can of oil spray, but I like it well enough.

Here is a link to one:
http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1361985
They also have them (or something similar) at Wal-Mart and other stores.

I used to sprinkle nutritional yeast on our popcorn before we went on a yeast-free (and corn-free!) diet. It does have a nice cheesy flavor. Now, as a substitute for popcorn, I lightly toast a rice cake in the toaster oven, crumble it in a bowl and sprinkle it with olive oil and salt. Yummy! :)