PDA

View Full Version : can we really teach ourselves to knit?

lumpofclay
05-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I bought an "I Taught Myself Knitting" kit at Wal-Mart yesterday. Can I really teach myself with this book? Can I then teach Chandler (7 yo)? I consider myself intelligent, but I've never knitted before!

I did crochet there for a bit before I got pg with Chandler, but it's been so long ago! My mom taught me a little, and I followed a book to start a "baby blanket." I never finished it. Besides I had picked out blue, thinking *when* we got pregnant (which wasn't long after I started the blanket), we'd have a boy. *She* came out, and I never touched the blanket again! LOL

booboo
05-08-2005, 06:33 PM
I honestly think it depends on how you learn. Like some people can sit down, read a book and be able to follow instructions. For me, I can't do it that way. I get bored easily or distracted. I can't sit still for long. And I do better sitting down one on one with someone. This gives me more freedom to ask questions, make mistakes in front of them and learn how to correct them. What's really funny is the store I work in has a knitting class, using that same book!

Give it a try since you got the book. You never know! :smile

krista1966
05-09-2005, 09:52 AM
there is a tv show on cable tv. It is called Knitty Gritty. They teach you how to knit. it also shows you how to make different items. They teach at all different levels. I like watching it when i have time too. They do some pretty amazing things. On my cable it is on channel 133 or the DIY channel. I have been knitting for about 10 years. but I still only know how to do the simple basic knitting stitch. Hope that helps.
In God's Love
Krista

lumpofclay
05-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks!

Yes, Booboo, it does make a difference how I learn. Thanks for reminding me of that! :doh Considering that, I think I'll be okay with the book. :)

Krista, thanks for the name of that show. I've already written it down and will search for it. I can always "tivo" it and watch it later, since I doubt I can watch it when it comes on. I hope i get that channel!

ChloesMommy
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Has anyone got a good website they learned from?

Kaz
05-10-2005, 03:12 AM
I taught myself to knit from a book - and I'm no big brain. You can do it! :tu

Dawn
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I think I bought that same knitting kit :) I even got a kids learn to knit kit figuring that if it was designed for a child to learn from that I could do it... :banghead not so for me. I need to actually "see" it to learn it, so I spent about a year being frustrated before I finally picked up the needles and tried again, this time also watching some videos online. I picked it up in about a week of practice and now have been knitting away. My favorite sites are:

http://www.stitchguide.com and http://www.knittinghelp.com/

:)

lumpofclay
05-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Dawn! Those sites are absolutely fantastic!!! :jump2 Thank you so much!

(ChloesMommy -- Go check them out. They have video!)

:woohoo :ty

Dawn
05-12-2005, 02:48 PM
glad you like them, they have both helped me SO much :mrgreen

good luck with your knitting :)

BeckaBlue
05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I wanna learn knitting too, i saw that kit yesterday when i was up there and thought about it, but i decided no way! im the type that if i see it, then i can usually figure it out, even w/o being told instructions, but i can't read i and then try to do it

Punkie
05-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I've learned from a kit and been relatively successful :) I'm a long-time crocheter, so maybe that helped a little?

CelticJourney
05-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I second the thanks to Dawn - cool sites. I learned to knit about two years ago. We went to a local craft store and they taught us. I love the fact that if you are doing something simple you can pick it up and work for five minutes and then put it down again. When dd was in the hospital in February, I made a baby blanket for a friend's baby shower. While you are learning different techniques, you can make small blankets for dolls or for premie at the hospital.

Soliloquy
05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Ok, how about this one . . .

I bought the same kit at Wal-Mart. I was sooo excited to get home and start as soon as DD fell asleep for her nap. :D All morning I kept looking at the package, flipped through the book a few times, thinking about what I'd make first, etc. etc.

Then . . .

DD nursed herself to sleep and I sat up and got ready to start. :tu

I sat there, looking at everything :think (it came with needles, hooks, all kinds of thing-a-ma-bobs).

I hadn't bought any yarn!!!!!! :doh :doh

So, what are the odds that a city slicker like me can teach herself to knit? Well, Lisa, first of all, YOU'LL NEED SOME YARN!!!! ;)

lumpofclay
05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

Oh, Lisa, don't feel too bad. I almost did the exact same thing! The girls were crazy when we got the kit. They were just all wound up. (probably wasn't the best time for a trip to Wal-Mart, in retrospect) So I stopped to talk to them, and then looked at the package again. That's when I realized I needed yarn! Otherwise, I would have thrown it in the basket and gone home! :eek

We're both now at least casting on. I think I figured out the knit stitch from the book, but I'm going to watch the video to make sure. I'm about to post a pic of C, in another thread, on this board of her cast-ons. :D

ChloesMommy
05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, I actually can get some "loops" on the needle, but I haven't gone any farther than that, lol

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Soliloquy
05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Well, I finally bought some yarn and I did teach myself to knit using the Wal-Mart kit! After about 3 hours, I had four rows of 30 stitches. I practiced casting on about 4 times, then I practiced knitting. I unraveled all that 'cuz it was pretty messy and started over. Now I feel like I know what I'm doing and I don't need to look at the book anymore.

There were a few steps that I didn't feel were explained very well, though, and I had to really STARE at the diagram for about 5 minutes to figure it out.

It's fun!! Wow, I taught myself knitting! LOL

lumpofclay
05-18-2005, 08:48 AM
:clap :clap :clap

Good for you, Lisa & Lisa. :D

We're working on that knitting stitch. I got some done, but Chandler's little hands are having trouble holding everything. I can understand that. Just don't gigle :giggle at her, though. . . she doesn't like that! :blush

Now I want to see some pictures, girls! :D