PDA

View Full Version : Can you put a newborn in a Mei Tai?

cannuke
05-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I was just wondering if you can put a newborn in a Mei Tai. I was thinking about making one, but I'm a little worried about holding baby's head and the hip positioning, as baby's legs need to be splayed out over my hips in either the front or back carries. Also, what about baby falling out the side when very small?

Is there a way of "folding" baby up in that type of carrier (kangaroo-style)? Or is there another similar type of carrier that is good for newborn and older?

I like the concept of a wrap, but I think that DH may be more inclined to use something along the Mei Tai style, as it seems less complicated.

Any suggestions?

arwen
05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
with the mei tais i make (cuddlencarry.com)
this is how you do it.
(ps, i wore my son in it since he was 2 weeks old)

you put you baby in the mei tai and fold his legs up 'froggy style'...their legs are going to crunch into them anyway...you just keep them like that...make sure the feet are ok when you put them against you...
then you bring it up and instead of tying the straps underneath the butt you tie them against the back...

you HAVE to keep an eye out about the straps...you don't want them too high...

this supports the baby's floppy body....

so yeah, you can def. wear your newborn in a mei tai ;)

if you have any other questions just lmk :)

savinggrace
05-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Yep you can :). I've been using a kozy for Isaac since he was a week old, just popping him in with his legs under his bottom and then tying the straps around his back to give support round the sides.

He doesn't like his legs in anymore tho so I've ordered an adjustable mei tai from www.meitaibaby.com. It hasn't come yet but it looks pretty cool (and I got a gorgeous red brocade! :tu)

Love Katherine

LauraK
05-10-2005, 08:04 PM
I love that adjustable feature!!! I loved my mei tai for the little newborn stage (I only did the front carry for a little newborn) but then there was an inbetween stage where she wanted her legs out but the mei tai I had was too big. That is so cool. Let us know how you like it.

Oh and I did also love the wrap but I couldn't see my dh using it. He did not have patience for learning curves with carriers.

ChristineG
05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
There are great instructions at www.kozycarrier.com for how to use a mei tai with a little baby. Just go to the site and click on "instructions". There you will find excellent explanations of all the different carries, with great pictures, too. :)