PDA

View Full Version : Can the sun fade wood?

Radosny Matka
05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I swear my dh is slightly OCD. He makes me want to go like this: :banghead We have this beautiful solid wood table in our dining room, and it has some sort of stain and finish on it. My dh has it in his head that it is being faded by the sun. I have looked and looked and looked, but I cannot see even a hint of fading. :shrug Is it even possible for the finish on a solid wooden table to fade? Right now my beautiful wooden table has an ugly bath towel on one end to "protect it from the sun." :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

tiglet
05-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Sad to tell you this, but your dh is right that the sun can damage some finishes on wood. I don't know if it's harming your table right now or not - but it's possible.

There are some UV protectants you can buy to apply to the top of your table, or maybe you could top it with glass or a better cover? Personally, I let the sun age my wood things (and everything else). I like it. :)

Mamaka
05-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, sun will age wood though it depends on the kind of wood how fast and how faded it will become.

If it's something you or dh is concerned about you can get protectants (like mentioned by pp) or you can just rotate the table & chairs every so often so the fading is the same all the way around.

HTH :)

Radosny Matka
05-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks. I'll have to look for that stuff.