PDA

View Full Version : problems with finding nemo

milkmommy
05-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Overall I love the movie its sweet ans DD LOVES it...but their are a few hitting scenes two where a parent kinda smacks their child and the turtles who in kind play knock heads etc.. well DD thinks this is cool so she comes up and slaps us. I know shes not trying to me mean and we taught her how to give a high five instead but she's having some trouble processing what she's seeing on TV and real life (make any sense). Any way I can help her, shes never been a hitter and I don't want her starting now. and for now nemo's taking an extended vacation (she can act out every scene from memory anyways)

Deanna

Dizzy Blond
05-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I saw it again in the dr's office Wed. and one scene bothered me, too. Where the dad is yelling at Nemo to come back here NOW. And not going to get him. Not exactly get-off-your-butt-parenting. And you know this example comes from how someone normally parents.

righteous mama
05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I saw it again in the dr's office Wed. and one scene bothered me, too. Where the dad is yelling at Nemo to come back here NOW. And not going to get him. Not exactly get-off-your-butt-parenting. And you know this example comes from how someone normally parents.

If I remember correctly the reason he is not getting "off his butt" is because he is afraid to go out there. The place Nemo was going was where his wife and children were eaten and it was very frightened.

But I understand the concerns...good opportunities to talk with the kids about the rightness and/or wrongness of it. :)

schoolofmom
05-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Okay, just in defense of Nemo ;) --his dad is riddled by fears (you could say he has an anxiety disorder) which he overcomes by the end of the movie. That's why he didn't get off his fish tail--he was too scared to go out there.

Deanna, I would offer her high fives whenever she hits like that, since she's meaning it to be affectionate. YK, "Oh wow! Wanna high five--that's right--on the hand, not my back!" :lol It'd probably be better if you could catch her before she gets to you.

milkmommy
05-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Well that didn't bother me too much since 1) they needed to set up his "getting captured" scene and 2 his Character was a bit of a wus at that time, I think of it like if DD picked up a bug I'd be like Honey put it down, honey please put it down... but my ickness towards bugs would keep me from actually removing it from he hand (at least til I had totally exhausted my pleas) :P The scene that bugged me the most was when he first goes to school and the little seahorse comments on Nemos gimpy fin and the father smacks him.. The seahorse whines "What did I do?"

Deanna

righteous mama
05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
That would be a good time to discuss with dd what was wrong with it and how the dad and the son could've done it differently. It's amazing that at such young ages, they know. Now at age 5.5 my dd will be watching something and say, "That's not nice! That's not funny!" Especially because we'll watch "America's Funniest Videos" together and I say that a lot. Some of those videos are just not appropriate. They're just not funny!

sadie
05-06-2005, 11:48 AM
ITA about AFV. Some of the clips are :rolleyes and :sick

AFA Finding Nemo, dh and I both noticed and were bothered by the seahorse smacking scene. If only they didn't include that, it was such a lovely and cute movie! :)

What's sad is I think they included that b/c it's a 'typical' parenting occurance IRL. :cry

Katherine
05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I think depending on the age and maturity level of your child, it's a judgement call as to whether a given movie should be shelved or whether the objectionable portion can be discussed.

I have shelved a lot of movies for a wide variety of reasons, and gotten them back out later when I thought ds could handle it... and some I ended up shelving again. :shrug Sometimes he makes very astute remarks about the inappropriate behavior of characters. When he was younger, he would copy everything.. act it out.. and that's when we really had to shelve a lot of stuff, b/c the power of visual media had a stronger effect than my attempts to teach him acceptable behavior. Now, he makes a lot of observations.. identifies different emotions and actions and classifys them as good/bad or whatever. It's a good opportunity for us to discuss things... sometimes we talk about how something could have been said or done differently.

Kids pick up on the funniest things. After ds1 saw Cinderella, I had to put it up for awhile, b/c he kept trying to put stuff around his (and everyone else's) neck--like the choker she wears in her ballgown. :eek It was truly becoming a safety hazard.

TulipMama
05-06-2005, 02:40 PM
One of our sons copied Nemo's "I HATE YOU!" line.

*sigh*

Mother of Sons
05-06-2005, 07:26 PM
I hated the movie toy story for a really long time. kept saying "Save your batteries!" in a really snotty voice to me whenever he didn't like something I was saying. He got it from Toy story.

PurpleButterfly
05-06-2005, 07:40 PM
One of our sons copied Nemo's "I HATE YOU!" line.

*sigh*

FN is my ds's favorite movie - he has been enchanted by that little fish long before he even got to see the movie. When we got the book (before we saw the movie), I was appalled at the "I hate you!" line in there. :( I let ds know how I felt, too, and asked him what he thought. He came up with a better line, "I'm mad at you!" and we crossed out the "I hate you" in the book and wrote our own line right in there! :tu

Like others have said, it's a good opportunity to discuss inappropriate behaviors - one more reason it's so important that we view these types of things with our dc.

AFHV is soooooo frustrating to me, because I love to laugh and am willing to sit through 80% junk just to get a good heehaw. :shrug

UltraMother
05-06-2005, 08:11 PM
He came up with a better line, "I'm mad at you!" and we crossed out the "I hate you" in the book and wrote our own line right in there!

I've done that too, as I realize how many examples of punitive parenting there are in everyday things. :/ You should hear me recite "The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe".

TulipMama
05-06-2005, 08:17 PM
So what's your version of that nursery rhyme?

(My Mom changed "Rock-a-Bye Baby" because she didn't like the cradle falling. . .)

GodisGood
05-06-2005, 08:19 PM
You should hear me recite "The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe".

Oh I am such a bad mother...there are days where I am overheard (by dh) saying "Sometime I think The Old Woman Who Lived In a Shoe' knew what she was doing!" :blush

Mother of Sons
05-06-2005, 08:27 PM
In a book somewhere around here I have an awesome version of the old woman in the shoe. I can't remember all of it but it says something like

There was a old woman who lived in a shoe
She had so many children she knew just what to do
She loved them and hugged them and
patted their heads
and kissed them all soundly as they went to bed.

I kind of had to make some of that up, but it's very similar to that.

milkmommy
05-06-2005, 08:40 PM
My favorite version :heart

OLD WOMAN IN A SHOE
By Jordan Riak

There was an old woman
Who lived in a shoe.
She was a kindhearted mom
Who knew exactly what to do.

She raised all her children
With patience and love.
Never once did she give them
A spank, shake or shove.

Her children all learned
To be gentle toward others,
And good parents too
When they became fathers and mothers.

From their days in the shoe
They learned this about living:
Kindness, not force,
Is the gift that keeps giving.

Deanna

Mother of Sons
05-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I LOVE that version!!

jujubnme
05-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Here's Becky Bailey's version:

A wonderful woman who lived in a shoe
Had so many children,
And she knew exactly what to do.
She held them,
She rocked them,
She tucked them in bed,
"I love you, I love you"
Is what she said.

and from So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0688136567/qid=1115438346/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-3959238-7516609?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Old Mother Rabbit lived in a shoe
She had twenty-six children and knew what to do,
She fed them some carrots, some broth and some bread
Then kissed them all gently and put them to bed

(And then she tucks each child in. This is such a sweet book :heart)

chelsea
05-06-2005, 09:30 PM
We haven't watched Finding Nemo yet but my son is obsessed with Nemo...he loves fish so he's got a Nemo backpack and pj set. I'm sure he'd love the movie but I'm always concerned about content which might be in movies and I have NO time to pre-watch them. Good post, sounds like this might be one movie to hold off on for now! :/

PurpleButterfly
05-07-2005, 06:19 AM
(My Mom changed "Rock-a-Bye Baby" because she didn't like the cradle falling. . .)

Me, too!!! I didn't change the cradle part, but changed the last verse to, "And mama catch baby, cradle and all."

I love, love, LOVE Becky Bailey!!! :hearts