PDA

View Full Version : A.O opnions, please.

phermion
05-04-2005, 03:01 PM
We've been using the Alpha and Omega Math Lifepac and ds loves it - likes that he can finish a workbook - it's manageable. I like that it basically tells me what to do, and it's one less thing I have to plan, YK? What I am wondering is if anyone else uses anything from A.O. and if you would tell me what you think about it. I don't want to overwhelm my ds with workbooks - so I am thinking of adding science and either history or English...I think three workbooks is manageable. I think. :grin
TIA!

Piper2
05-05-2005, 08:15 AM
We used LIFEPAC Kindergarten Language Arts this year and liked it. But I wanted a "fuller" curriculum this year (science, social studies, etc.) and didn't want to spend all day doing nothing but filling out workbooks. We're already doing Math-U-See. So I decided to try the Weaver Curriculum for most subjects next year, except for math (they don't include math anyway, so you have to find your own). But I am going to pull out the phonics workbook we were using before we got the LIFEPAC and use that some days because Kevin still needs some phonics work, plus he does enjoy doing workbooks some.

But that's not to say there's anything wrong with using LIFEPAC exclusively. They do spell everything out for you, and if your child can work well on his own and isn't primarily a hands-on learner like mine, I think it's a good option, especially if you're just starting out homeschooling. :)

phermion
05-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks, Lisa. :highfive
This is our second year homeschooling, so relatively new. :mrgreen I'm still working out what fits each child best and meets their needs. :tu I have one first grade and one special needs K and a nursling (19mths) that is very active. When we first started we used the same books for the older two, however this year the first grader is rapidly progressing and our K is taking things a bit slower. :O Our nursling is into everything that her brothers are and requires as much attention during school as they do. While the AO life pac has been so helpful to me this year, I surely don't want my oldest burdened with too many workbooks. :td And I really don't want to use LifePac exclusively. He loves hands on learning as well - and we are big readers. The workbooks offer him independence and less planning time for me which I can use to do other things with my kidlets. :tu So I am trying to find a good balance for us. :shrug
What did you think about the quality of the language arts materials you used, Lisa? Were they engaging? Interesting to look at? Do you think the work was appropriate? Our math materials are the only things from AO that I've seen first hand. :think

edited to add - if anyone else has any input to add - please do!! :O

Piper2
05-05-2005, 09:39 AM
The workbooks offer him independence and less planning time for me which I can use to do other things with my kidlets.

Yeah, that's the advantage I can see with using them. :) I only have one child, so that's not as much of an issue with us. ;)

What did you think about the quality of the language arts materials you used, Lisa? Were they engaging? Interesting to look at? Do you think the work was appropriate? Our math materials are the only things from AO that I've seen first hand. :think

Personally, I thought they were kind of boring and repetitive, TBH, but Kevin liked them. :mrgreen They've got sample pages (you might have already seen these) at http://www.aop.com/Cultures/en-US/HomeSchooling/HSCurriculumOptions/HSLIFEPAC/LPsamplepages.htm that you can look at, print out, and even have your child try to see what grade level might work well for them. When I tried that last year, Kevin could do the 1st Grade math page with no problem and the 2nd Grade Language Arts, but I still went with the K-level workbook because I wanted to make sure I covered everything from the beginning, KWIM?

Mama Bird
05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
We plan to use all 5 LIFEPACs for our DD this coming year. This year was our first year of homeschooling, and it took us a long time to find our stride. We used Christian Liberty's materials this year, but found them to be a bit dull. I really good friend of mine, who has several children in multiple grade levels recommended AO LPs to me. I have a son who is almost 3, so he takes a large chunk of time and attention. My DD loves workbooks, and I'm thrilled with the thought of the workbooks. With everything in a self-contained book, she can do her work on her bed, on the back porch, on the sofa, wherever she feels the need. (Or in the car!) I looked at a ton of options for this coming year, but I feel like this is the best for us right now.

phermion
05-05-2005, 07:44 PM
:tu Thanks for your input, Haley!
With everything in a self-contained book, she can do her work on her bed, on the back porch, on the sofa, wherever she feels the need. (Or in the car!)
I like this, too. :)
it took us a long time to find our stride. Somedays I still wonder if I really have found ours. :lol It seems daunting sometimes - where as at school the kids have to fit themselves to the system, we get to fit a system to each kid! :wow But it's so totally worth it. :amen

Mama Bird
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I found a place online where I can order the whole AO curriculum for DD for less tahn $200...with free shipping! There are some out there...just google Alpha Omega Lifepac free shipping. :tu

phermion
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tip, Haley. :highfive

Celeste
05-06-2005, 03:29 PM
A really neat history is The Story of The World series.