PDA

View Full Version : Roses/violets

Blue Aurora
05-03-2005, 01:32 PM
I've never had plants before but I have been wanting to try keep some plants alive and hopefully have a garden at some point. DH bought me a little rose plant and violet plant in small pots adn I'm wondering how to keep them alive. There in shade most of the day but I put them in the window for a few hours in the morning. Is that too much sun? Not enough? How often and how much should they be watered? the soil is still moist today from watering them yesterday so I sprayed them a few times with a spray bottle. I'm so clueless and I really want these little plants to do good! Help??

snlmama
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
The roses need at least 6 hours of sun a day. I'd just water when the soil feels dry.
The voilets need quite a bit of sun, but I"m not sure how much. My grandmother used to keep them under special lamps. :/ She hired me one summer when I was in hs to care for her plants :mrgreen (but the lights were on timers so I didn't need to worry about that part) and I'm pretty sure I watered the violets every other day. Again, probably just water when the soil is dry on top.

Lady TS
05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Are these the outdoor-type spring blooming violets, or are they African violets(with fuzzy leaves)? If they are the African violets, water them from the saucer and don't spray them because the leaves are very prone to rot. Also, African violets like diffused light, not direct light.

I haven't had much luck with roses, so more power to ya! :tu

katiekind
05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Roses love sunshine and food (fertilizer, compost, etc). I have not heard of them being kept as houseplants but maybe you could do it given enough sun. What a sweet gift from your hubby!

Blue Aurora
05-03-2005, 07:35 PM
The roses are the little minature kind... :shrug The violets are the ones with the big fuzzy leaves. So I'll give the roses plenty of sunlight and keep the violet more in the shade, right? Don't mist the violets and water both when the soil feels dry? I hope I can do this! :D

Blue Aurora
05-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Wow, I had no idea they could be so finicky!

snlmama
05-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes, African violets are some of the harder plants to keep alive. I would recommend not spraying the rose leaves either, btw.
I've had the potted miniatures before, but I kept them outside on the "patio" (in an apartment). I've never tried them inside and I think they'd do OK as long as they get LOTS of sun. Morning sun is preferable to afternoon sun.
:)