PDA

View Full Version : It was so good th first time. :) So for all you gals with a stinky dipes problem

wuzzie
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Here's what I posted to another cd board I am on. Happy reading

It seems like a few people have been having problem lately with stinky dipes and hard water. IF you have hard water you really really need to strip your diapers. There are a few different ways to do this.

Why hard water affects your diapers. OK, to figure out how hard water affects your dipes, you need to understand how detergent works. It basically attaches its self to the gunk in your diapers and then helps pull the yuckies out. This is how all soap works. Which is why it is so important to rinse fully and get out all the water you possibly can from your dipes before drying them. Hard water has lots and lots of minerals in it. Those minerals attach to the detergent just like the yuckies in your dipes, but they make it very difficult to rinse out. They basically steal your detergent from the wash and then get stuck in the fibers. So you have 2 problems here, your detergent not cleaning properly AND not rinsing all the way out. Follow so far? Kay, now how to fix the problem.

The boiling method. This is what your Gramma used to do with her diapers and is not to be done if there are snaps, velcro, PUL, wool or fleece on your diapers. Basically just prefolds or contours. Get a big pot and boil your diapers. (No detergent or any additives, just water) It will help "melt" the detergent out of your diapers. It will also kill any bacteria you have in your dipes. You will know it's working if you get a layer of gunk on the top of the water.

The RLR method. These are little balls of diaper miracle cure (just kidding!) It is available of those stips in the detergent isle of WalMart (I have never seen it anywhere else) They are about 1-2 bucks for a pack of 2. Buy at least 3 packs. You are going to wash your diapers once with detergent and a ball of this and then at LEAST 5 more times with no detergent and a pack of this. This hslps the minerals to dislodge from your diaper fabric. Try to do this at someones elses house. somewhere that doesn't have hard water. I do it at my parents or the laundromat. You will probably need to do this about once a month. Whenever you notice your dipes getting wiff. Also, add one of those little balls about once ever 1-2 weeks.

The Calgon method. Some as above, seems to work a bit better for me personally.

The bleach method. This is going to be the least well recieved, but works the best. Wash your dipes once with 1/4 of a cup of cheap bleach. About half that for the clorox stuff. Your dipes will smell like bleach when the wash is done, if it doesn't, you didn't use enough. Do another wash without adding anything to make sure you rinse it all out. Then use your diapers. You will be amazed at the fact that the pee DOES NOT SMELL. After that, as maintanance, add about one tablespoon to a wash once a week or every other week, whatever works best for yur dipes. This does not work with oxygen bleach. Just chlorine

The bac-out method. THE most expensive way to keep your dipes stink free, but works and doesn't hurt the dipes or the environment, after using one of the above methods to strip your dipes, squirt bac out on each one on the soiled area before tossing it in the pail. Works great for poo stains too. BioKleens oxygen bleach works well on poo stains too applied directly to the stain and left to sit a bit, but doesn't rinse out well with hard water. The bac-out (same company) does.

Solutions for soft water....Not enough minerals sometimes don't "activate" the detergent enough. In that case, don't add more detergent, add a bit of borax or baking soda. Borax also works for me to soften the water too. Go figure.

I have never had good luck with adding vinagar in the rinse, though some have. I can't advise on this

OK, class dismissed. I hope you all learned something.
Cathie

Feel free to add to this, I'm still learning :blush

DogwoodMama
05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Great info! :) Thanks for sharing. 2sunshines we suggested we make it a sticky, hope it's OK with you. :)

DogwoodMama
05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
I decided to sticky the other stippin' dipes thread since I saw you posted this info there too, wuzzie. :)

milkmommy
05-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Yep I've had just about the same results. Calgon doesn't work for me though it caused my diapers to repell :shrug though I used to use the powdered and it worked great we only get the liquid kind here and it just doesn't.
I actually found both regular bleach and Oxyen bleach worked well but would result in great smellng diapers that leaked fairly easily (not ruined though and restorable) I do think a bleach treatment is by far the fastest and best yeast infection cure.
I hate the smell of Bac out
Another thing to consider in amount of detergent if you have really hard water using the often talked about teaspoon/tablespoon worth might not be enough. (though reality will be you may need to strip more)

Deanna

wuzzie
05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm glad it was made a sticky. :D I didn't write it to cover all the ways to treat the problems, just as a starting point that many people find effective.