PDA

View Full Version : Oh, brother!

Tamara
05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh, brother! :rolleyes First of all, how did I get on their mailing list? Second, what does it mean when you see Supernanny and Dobson at the same time?
"Do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do....You are now entering....The Punitive Zone!"

Focus on the Family® to Run Ads During Supernanny TV Program May 2

Dear Friend,

On May 2, 2005, Focus on the Family® will be running a commercial during ABC's Supernanny show to tell others about our Focus on Your Child program.

Focus on Your Child is a complimentary membership program that includes:

Age-appropriate tips, ideas, and helpful tools delivered on a regular basis
CDs with expert advice that you can listen to anywhere and anytime (because we know your schedules are busy!)
Access to special Web site features
Immediately, new members will be able to:

Access parenting tips and expert advice booklets
Take an interactive assessment providing customized results to help you understand your individual parenting style and your child’s unique personality
These tools will help you enhance your parenting for your children or grandchildren from birth to age 18. Sign up online today!

Thank you for partnering with us to reach out to families with parenting advice. We ask that you pray for a great response to our commercial running during Supernanny (May 2 on ABC), and for our ministry as we respond with the love and compassion of Christ to every inquiry we receive.

While we do not endorse the premise or content of Supernanny, we do recognize it illustrates the age-old problems of parenting in a current reality show context. We also believe that advertising on this show is a great way to reach millions unfamiliar with all that Focus has to offer – such as the Focus on Your Child program.

Katherine
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
ACK! :td I REALLY hate to hear that they will be advertising on this show. I don't agree with SN 100%, but I think Dobson's teaching is exceedingly more dangerous and damaging than what SN promotes. And parents who are watching it b/c they really need help and guidance are ripe to be drawn into Dobson's controlling methods. :banghead :banghead :hissyfit

What can be done.. ?? :think Sure wish there was some positive discipline influence that could be advertised there as well--to offer a different perspective to this audience of parents and grandparents. I'm sure that's not cheap advertising, though.... :/

SuperNanny discourages parents from spanking, as far as I know. (I haven't watched it a lot, so correct me if I'm wrong) I wonder how she and her camp would feel if they knew such an adversarial group as FOTF were advertising to "her" audience? And I wonder if they could affect any influence over which commercials air during the show... ??

Oliveshoots
05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Give me Jo-Jo over James ANY day!!!!

milkmommy
05-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I'll assume moneys involved :/ Their parenting methods contrdict each other in many key ellements. (like spankings) I don't get it Why "join forces" sounds like someone just getting the buck and not doing research :shrug

Tamara
05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't watch Supernanny, so I don't know much. I assumed it was kinda punitive, though. Nanny 911, which I've seen once or twice, seemed punitive to me.

booboo
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah I saw that commercial while watching SuperNanny. But I thought, hey FOTF is a ministry and maybe God will use it to bring more people to Christ?

On the other hand, my counselor, who is prospanking, got a new perspective from JoJo about spanking but wouldn't accept my biblical views, taken from Sears' website?! :doh Don't get me wrong, I love my counselor but some people are so into this spanking bit that sometimes God throws a curve ball at them.

On the funny side, I did my British accent at work Tuesday night. I did the announcements that the store was closing, talking like JoJo. (the manager wasn't feeling too well and let me do it!) I got a lot of laughs! :laughtears No it wasn't a real accent. But it was fun!