PDA

View Full Version : a rough afternoon

icesmom3
04-29-2005, 05:53 PM
All I can say is “Wow I am so glad that Caleb is in bed“……I have not had this rough of an afternoon in a long, long time. :td
This afternoon Caleb(6) has been totally out of control, (saying out of control is to put his behavior mildly) running , jumping, hurting the cat, bizarre erratic stuff we have not seen in months (this was after he played for 2 hours outside!!)……so we made it to supper and he actually sat still and ate---then dh suggested we go to Walmart for groceries :/…..it actually went well and I had prepared Caleb by telling him that he would be sitting in the cart and buckled and he was fine ( except for non stop talking) and then I met dh and we took a potty break and Caleb literally flew into dh’s arms :eek and started jumping every where…..wow to the potty back to the cart and buckled. On the way home dh and I were racking our brains and wondering what on earth happened to our ds today…..then it hit me…..Caleb only ate a few chips for lunch (of course ones that were filled with artificial colors) and here it was at 4-5:30 in the afternoon :banghead , no wonder he was so off wall…..Back when he was 4 we noticed the pattern of low blood sugar and out of control behavior but it hasn’t been an issue in a long, long time..
So that is the only thing I can think of??that would have led to his behavior.
I was so tempted to spank him today, so, so tempted…..I did have time go to his room for time to settle down and I did threaten him with a spank because my tool box was so depleted and I felt the need to do something….. I am sitting here in amazement that 1. I did not even think of what his physical needs were :doh
2. That something I thought he’d outgrown is now a present issue……hmmmm can we say snacks?? :think
Just need to get this out…..did any of it make sense?? :heart

findingjoy
04-29-2005, 06:22 PM
:hug What a rough day! My ds (just turned 5) has the same problem. I'm pretty good at remembering to give him frequent snacks, but sometimes we get busy and I forget. The behavior can be so wild and irritating that I forget at first that it's because he is hungry. Sometimes I fly off the handle because his behavior can change so suddenly and drastically. Then when I realize what's going on, I start kicking myself for letting it happen. I'm trying to teach him to recognize that he is hungry (and let me know) before his blood sugar drops too low. Of course he is still pretty young. And sometimes he doesn't eat much of the food that I offer him during meal or snack time, so then I don't think about the fact that he is going to need more food soon. He's very spirited anyway, so I try to be extra careful to keep him fed. I don't need him to be even more wild and active! Sorry you had such a trying day. Thanks for sharing. It was a good reminder to me to watch my son's sugar level. And know that you are not alone!

Irene
04-29-2005, 06:37 PM
ugh :hug what a rough day ...

I gave my dd some jelly this morning- I bought the wrong kind, it had Red in it :banghead and I thought I would take my chances :rolleyes bad decision.

she was off the wall crazy today... and today was shopping day- only she didnt get crazy till we got in the store :eek wow it was rough, and then we got home and she had to have everything *perfect* in her room just so, screaming about her blankets not being right and all that. :eek yikes.

Gotta love those food dyes :rolleyes :eek :/ :doh

((((((hugs)))))))))

Danette
04-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Another thought.... my son has days like that when the pollen and grass counts are high and I forget to give him his allergy meds. Have you noticed if he has seasonal allergies.... I'm asking since you said he played outside for 2 hours... and it is spring. My son doesn't do the sneezing but I notice his allergies are bad because he gets dark circles under his eyes and he pushes on his ears (because they itch) and his throat itches too.

godsgracegiven
04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
:hug You made total sense, my dd has blood sugar issue too, ITU. I would also second Danette post. Ds does the thing this time a year and it is a hard one to pick up because his only symptom is slightly puffy eyes. :hug I know how fast allergies can deplete our pareting tool boxes.

xianjoymomma
04-30-2005, 07:29 AM
ugh :hug what a rough day ...

I gave my dd some jelly this morning- I bought the wrong kind, it had Red in it :banghead and I thought I would take my chances :rolleyes bad decision.

she was off the wall crazy today... and then we got home and she had to have everything *perfect* in her room

So food dyes really do this to kids? I've been wondering for a while if my dd's crazy behaviour had anything to do with what she was eating. I just haven't figured out what the problem food could be. She is three and also gets obsessed about things being "just so" and goes into wild tantrums. She was like this for a few weeks in December and is going through another similar phase lately. If there is something I could do to get her mood back to normal, I want to do it. Maybe I should start a thread about known promblem foods....

tempus vernum
04-30-2005, 12:23 PM
:hug

ArmsOfLove
05-03-2005, 06:16 PM
dyes can most definately do it to chlidren--as can any food they are sensitive to! I hate it when I take a chance that something won't be in food and it is :(