PDA

View Full Version : At what age would you start to worry about this?

AttachedMamma
04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Our DD is 4.5 yo and is not into writing at all. She does not want to practice letters. She knows her alphabet and numbers...*loves* for us to read to her. She uses her Leap Pad sometimes. She knows how to write the number 7 and thinks it's cool. :laughtears Her favorite things to do are: draw (especially happy faces), paint, build (DH thinks she may be an architect when she grows up :lol), do puzzles, use the ruler to make straight lines and sing. And her imagination is out of this world and she wants to climb trees. I think she's just got "better" things to do in her life right now and I don't want to push it. I'm not looking for ways to push her in that direction b/c I'm certain she would see it as a way of manipulating her into writing the alphabet. Just wondering if I should be concerned about it if she's still not interested when she's betwen 5 - 6. BTW, I am a little worried about how to deal w/Sunday school at church when the other kids start writing their names on their artwork and the teachers see she doesn't know how. :rolleyes I'm afraid the teachers will say something to me...that they're "concerned"...and worse--that DD will hear them say it and think there's something wrong w/her.

Your thoughts?

cindi

Quietspirit
04-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't worry one bit about it. She's just 4 :hearts There is a HUGE jump (especially in girls) between the ages of 4 and 5-6 academically/developmentally.

If she's not writing at all by 6-7, then I might want to look into what is going on, find some activities that interest her that involve writing, etc. But until then, I'd just smile at those Sunday School teachers and say "Please write her name on her paper if it needs to be there!" and pass the bean dip if they question you about it. ;)

2ds1dd
04-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah I wouldn't worry. Ben can "technically" write his name but he hates to do it. He will be 5yrs in July and is just now starting to show ANY interest in writing and reading. I know that formal pre-schools tend to push writing at ages 3 and 4, so since I'm not pushing him I'm not expecting him to do it. *lol*

Micah
04-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Writing at 4? Hmmm....nope, nope.
I am sure many can, but to expect it, or even worry about it...at 4?! ;) 1 of children could and 3 couldn't...the 5th is too young to tell yet, however I highly doubt he will. :)

I 2nd the suggestion for the SS teachers!

Miss Priss
04-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I agree w/ the PPs, don't worry about it! My current 4yo is the only one who could write her name by 4... she wants to write a lot more, but isn't capable yet, and it's very frustrating for her.
Your dd sounds perfectly "normal."