PDA

View Full Version : Moving ds to his own bed

savinggrace
04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi there!
My ds Reuben is 28mo and has co-slept with us from birth. Since his little brother arrived we have been sleeping all in one bed. But there are several practical problems which I won't bore you with and recently I feel that he is ready to start going to bed in his own bed. This also means learning to go to sleep without someone lying down with him (which we need to do anyway as I can't do it due to the baby needing me and so dh is having to do it which means he can't go out in the evenings at all and he has business trips coming up anyway).

I really feel it is time and also that dh and I need to be able to sleep next to each other again!!!!!! He''ll be welcome in our bed later on in the night.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips. I have some books (NCSS, Dr Sears Nightime Parenting etc) but lent them to a friend, hope to get them back on Sunday!). Dh will actually be the one putting him to bed. I thought I'd do a book with photos of him growing up, learning new things and ennding with him having his own bed (I cut out a pic from the catalogue where we got his bedding).

Love Katherine
Mum of 4 in the UK

Moon
04-29-2005, 11:33 AM
We moved the last one out in slow stages. First I'd put her on the other side of dad after she was asleep (dad in middle of bed), it took awhile before she stopped climbing back over him in the middle of the night. When she was ok with dad taking care of her nighttime needs (and stopped climbing over him) we started putting her in a toddler bed against our bed after she was asleep, she took to it quickly. After about half a year there she moved into a room with her older brother with no problems whatsoever. They will both come to us if they need to, and it's understood sick kids always sleep in mom and dads room.

With big ds we weren't so slow and gradual, as a result he bounced back and forth from his room to ours several times before he outgrew the need for sleeping with us.