PDA

View Full Version : Beginning the school year in July

Piper2
04-29-2005, 07:49 AM
From my blog (too lazy to type it again ;)):

I'm seriously considering starting school in July this year instead of August. The main reason is, we're done for the year, and if I wait until August, we'll have had 3 and a half months off, and I honestly don't know how long it'll take me to get cranked back up after that long of a break. But also, looking at the school calendar I initially made up, there aren't that many significant breaks throughout the school year, and I'm afraid that doing that might make me burn out. And even though I'm technically not scheduling Fridays for schoolwork, I'm suspecting that we might end up doing things on Fridays with this new curriculum, so that would make more days of solid schooling that we would eventually need a break from. I'd like to be able to take the whole month of December off, but then again, we're not planning on traveling for Christmas this year (Yay!), so I don't know if we'd really have that much "stuff" to keep busy with for the whole month. Maybe just do a 10 or 12-day unit between Thanksgiving and Christmas and leave it at that. But if I did start in July, I'd want to be done by the end of April.

Thoughts?

HEmomma
04-29-2005, 09:11 AM
I think it sounds like a great idea. :) I personally am in favor of the "year-round" school with lots of breaks and not so many solid months of schooling.