PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about ...

rosesnsnails
04-29-2005, 01:22 AM
McGuffy Readers? I am wondering if they would be a good addition to our very eclectic mix. Does anyone have an opinion about the 1836 version versus the 1879 (I think) version? I found a place that has the first and sixth readers online so I will check them out there before I buy, but I wanted to get some opinions here, too. Thanks.

Mama Bird
04-29-2005, 06:50 AM
The version we used for the Primer is copyrighted 1881. I really liked it! It introduced phonics, handwriting, etc. The first lessons were very simple, but the last lesson was fairly complex. I love them, because they teach good morals and values. On the flip side, they are pretty old-fashioned. There were some things I had to explain to my daughter. (She didn't know what a lad was...)

I think they are excellent!

TillSuper6
04-29-2005, 01:07 PM
I picked some up at a yard sale one time. They are the Christian School Edition. We absoulutely :heart these for the poetry. They are great read alouds. I love the stories. The vocab is very interesting and old fashion I have to do alot of explaining concerning some of the termanology as well.