PDA

View Full Version : starting a huge course of abx....

tiglet
04-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, Bonnie (10 mos) has not had a day without a runny nose since October. She has been to the Dr. with a long lasting fever more times than I can count. She just finished a 10 day course of abx for double ear infections that weren't responding to time and natural remedies.

And she's been running a 102-101 fever for the last 9 days. And now the Dr. suspects a sinus infection. We've been irrigating her nose with saline (4 x day - and she hates it) for a couple of weeks now, but it doesn't seem to be helping. To make a long story short, she's been miserable and sick for the last week and a half, but hasn't been truly "healthy" in months.

The Dr. wants her to start a loooong course of heavy antibiotics. And I'm not opposed, because I think it might be what she really needs. He wants us to make sure she eats her yogurt and to give her additonal probiotics to help minimize the antibiotic side effects. I think these are good ideas. Are there any other things I can do to help minimize her chances of GI upset and yeast infections?

Thanks.

SillyMommy
04-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Probiotics - from a reputable brand, are a MUST to avoid the yeasties! Nature's Sunshine makes a good one, or you can get Jarrodophilus for kids at Whole Foods. Make sure the probiotics are taken 2 hours before OR after the abx or the abx will kill the probiotic.

Yogurt is an ok source, but it needs to be plain sugar-free yogurt as sugar will increase her chances of a yeast infection.

I hope she gets better soon!

tiglet
04-28-2005, 07:42 PM
No Nature's Sunshine or Whole Foods here...

The pharmacist sold me something called "Culturelle" - 30 capsules for $23! :eek

Anyone know if these are any good?

icesmom3
04-29-2005, 12:41 PM
If she continues to run fevers after her abx are done I would want some basic blood work done to rule out anything that may be brewing....
Ok my ds wants to try out these :banghead :hissyfit :hug

Ca_mommy
04-29-2005, 03:29 PM
We use Primadophilus for Children. It's a powder that dissolves in liquid or food. I bought it from Whole foods, but you can certainly buy it on-line.

cobluegirl
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
No Nature's Sunshine or Whole Foods here...

The pharmacist sold me something called "Culturelle" - 30 capsules for $23! :eek

Anyone know if these are any good?

were they refrigerated? most good ones must be kept cold. There are few that don't but will depend what kind they are.

((hugs))