PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!

righteous mama
04-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Our bunny died! We got her for Valentine's Day and she's already dead! I can't believe this. We just dealt with Bean's death (our bunny we had for four years) and now Violet is gone. :cry I just discovered her and Mary doesn't know yet. Yesterday I picked her up and she was really thin. She barely ate anything and today she's gone. Almost the same thing that happened to Bean. Could it be something around here? I just can't figure it out.

:(

expatmom
04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't know anything about bunny health, but just wanted to say that I am sorry! :cry

amstermarie
04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
:cry so sorry, i used to work with dogs and cats so i don't know much about bunnies, but a few guesses i have are , 1 did you clean the cage real well after your other bunny died? if she had some kind of virus maybe it was on the cage. it probably would have needed to be cleaned with bleach. my other guess is some kind of parasite. you said she was thin, animals get thin when they have parasites. also, if my memory is correct, i believe rabbits get nutrition from there poop. yuck gross. but i guess they go, and then eat it again. so if you have the kind of cage where the poop goes down to a catch pan that might have been it. i am not certain about this, i did not work with rabbits, but i remember learning this in animal science class, unless i am getting rabbits mixed up with another kind of exotic.

righteous mama
04-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I was checking at mybunny.org (http://www.mybunny.org/index.html) and it looks like her GI tract shut down. Yesterday when I was holding her she was so, so skinny. I thought maybe we weren't giving her enough food, so I gave her fresh food and water. She ate most of it before she died. Oh, I don't even have a clue...it doesn't even sound like GI. We did wash it down really well before we put her in it. We used Basic G, which is a germicide. It also sat empty in the sun for awhile.

I think this time we will check out our local humane society. I may buy a new cage, also. I'm so sad, she was such a sweetie. I would just hold her and pet her. Mary kept her in her doll sling. She was so beautiful and we loved her. :(

ranade3
04-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm so sorry :cry

flowermama
04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
:cry :hug