PDA

View Full Version : sugar free jam?

Irene
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
can I just say, I hate allrecipes.com :hissyfit I can never find what Im looking for :td anyway...

does anyone have a recipe for sugar free jam/ jelly or fruit spread of some kind? Im thinking of growing some strawberries this year and maybe even if I can make jam, maybe pick some blueberries this fall :tu but I want to test it out first :)

Iarwain
04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Don't have a recipe handy, but there is a certain kind of pectin you need to get to make sugar-free and there are recipes in the box. I can't remember the name of it right now but I got it at Wal-Mart. Can't get up to look I'm :nak

Irene
04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
but you dont use like aspartime or anything right?

Iarwain
04-28-2005, 03:13 PM
No, you don't need to use aspartame. The instructions list a couple different options and that is one of them, but I wouldn't. I managed to get up for a moment and it is Ball Fruit Jell - No Sugar Needed Pectin. I lost the recipe sheet so I can't give you that however. :/ I know my beloved Whole Foods for the Whole Family has low or no sugar jam/jelly recipes using that kind of pectin as well, but I'm nak AGAIN and now I can't go fetch that either. :lol He's tired and can't make up his mind right now.

We planted strawberries two years ago and I've yet to make jam but I sure love eating them! We have a hundred plants in our backyard and had about 20-25 at our old house. The smaller patch produced about a quart a week at the peak. We planted a couple blueberry bushes, too, but they aren't looking so hot. Maybe they just grow really, really slowly.