PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions--throwing themselves while being carried & freq. of "dont"

mama2mychildren
04-28-2005, 01:01 PM
DD is two.

How do you handle it when carrying your child, say in a parking lot, and they start to throw a fit and try to throw themselves backwards? DD has been doing this often lately and being 6.5 months pregnant, I have about killed both her and I when she throws me off balance like that. When it happened today I put her and I in the car immediately and told her why she cant do that and held her until she calmed down. She doesnt seem to be getting it though and as she's bigger and wants more independence where its dangerous, I need for her to understand the importance of me carrying her safely and calmly when needed.

Second, I've been reflecting on how many times a day I say "dont" or "no". Its too much. When she was so much younger I would distract or redirect and I can still do that sometimes but when the toddler focus is on completing that action and/or she gets what I call the "challenge twinkle" in her eye, what do you do? I just find myself saying, "Dont play in the phone cord" or "No feet on the dinner table". Our house is pretty kid-friendly and there aren limitations in that sense but I dont know what to do about the little things.

TIA.

CelticJourney
04-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Maybe while you are pregnant you might want to consider having her in a stroller in those types of situations. I hate parking lots and mine are/were either in a stroller that I had control of (don't you love watching babies being pushed into traffic by only slightly older siblings! :eek) or being carried.

I watch a two year old and have spent time this week trying to reword my vocabulary. Maybe 'let the phone cord hang there in case someone calls us' or 'feet under the table, please'. Lately mine has been doing the 'fighting thing' when it comes to diaper change time. I've started laying him on my bed and saying 'kick, kick, go ahead, now's the time, kick' and then 'are you done and ready for a new diaper?' He looks at me like I'm crazy, but for the most part he has stopped the fighting and just does a token kick and then a little 'eady' (ready).

ArmsOfLove
05-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Stroller and hand holding!

And talk to her about what she *can* do :) "Hands are for" "Here, play with this"