View Full Version : LGP week 2 day 4

Irene
04-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Week 2
Attitude Shift: Harnessing the Power of Attention
Reason: what you focus on you get more of
Discipline Skill: Assertiveness
Value: Respect

Give assertive commans to your children when you want obedience. Use the Following steps:
1) Gain your childs attention. Move close to you child until she looks at you. Say "there you are" and smile :D
2) Tell her what to do in understandable terms
3) Gesture like a traffic cop to provide additional information
4) If you child chooses to obey you, praise her in specific terms. Start with the words "you did it" then describe what she did that led to her success. Avoid general praise such as "great job"

If your child ignores you say "I will show you what I want you to do." then guide your child to success. If she still resists, offer her two positive choices. Alternatively, try using empathy or ask "what would help you _ right now"

When you feel frustrated with your child, express your thoughts or or feelings directly by saying " I dont like it when you ___" "when you ______ I feel _______" then assertively tell her what you want her to do"

Irene
04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
oooooh I struggle with these! :hissyfit

well, I have to say the traffic cop thing works REALLY well on my daughter! She is very visual and I can use my traffic cop signals, or sign language and she responds so much better :tu

I have a hard time with guiding my child to success. :/ I really really struggle with "she should just obey me" shes old enough to obey. she is old enough to get dressed by herself. she can do this but now shes refusing! :hissyfit I think my hardest time is when Im trying to get stuff done and want her to help me clean up, get dressed or whatever. its hard for me to shift my focus. :blush

I also have a hard time with telling her how I feel. I almost have this thing that makes me feel like its manipulative. like if I tell her I am feeling frustrated, I dont want her to do things just to make me happy yk?

anyway
kids crying....

LoveToReadMommy
04-28-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm having a hard time transitioning this week, I'm still thinking about last week, I guess I"m a slow learner. But I LOVE this info, keep chatting ladies! :cup

TulipMama
04-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Oooh! These are really good!