PDA

View Full Version : chiggers?

heartofjoy
04-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Does anyone know of a good natural remedy for chiggers? To stop the itching. I tried a calendula spray, and it seemed to help last night, but this morning it didn't help at all. I put hydrocortizone on this morning. I was desperate. I also have bites on my breasts and some where my baby puts her mouth to nurse. I don't want to use anything there that would be bad for her to ingest. I looked online and all I found was to use oatmeal. And of course, I am totally out of oatmeal right now!

Any ideas? I am miserable! So itchy!!! :monster2

BeckyD
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Did you ever find a remedy? I Googled it for you, and found this:

Chiggers:

When you have been "chigged" take a shower first then try these:

Rub pure castor oil on your skin. Pure odorless castor oil is available at pharmacies.

Grow the herb pennyroyal (a member of the mint family) and use the leaves by crushing them in your hands then rubbing it on your skin.

Apply a poultice of cooked and cooled oatmeal.

To ease the pain and itching of chigger bites, rub with a moist aspirin tablet.

fruitofthewomb
05-02-2006, 10:29 AM
On the bites that your baby will not be putting the mouth on, use clear nailpolish to stop the chigger from spreading his bites or whatever he does. I don't know about aspirin where the baby will put the mouth, either. For the itch, I dunno, maybe see if meat tenderizer works since it works for other bug bites? Don't wear tight fitting clothes (like pantyhose) where the bites are. We used to get killed by these in South Georgia.

cobluegirl
05-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I have no experience with chiggers..would calamine(sp) work? What about tea tree oil?