PDA

View Full Version : You WILL Buy Me Something NOW!!

chelsea
04-27-2005, 04:49 PM
deleted

Teribear
04-27-2005, 05:03 PM
You are right to be concerned but I'd probably not intervene. When it comes to your son, should he pick up that behavior, you can correct it. In my house a fit like that would result in an automatic refusal of whatever was demanded...and they can :hissyfit all they like but no way am I going to be bullied into giving in to a fit. I don't know how old your son is but you can point out that what nephew is doing is NOT acceptable and use him as an example of how NOT to act. Sad but true.

Radosny Matka
04-27-2005, 07:20 PM
:eek Oh my... :eek I think Teribear gave you great advice.

mzietlow
04-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Wow...I totally agree with your concern. That is a terrible situation! Sad that Grandma is allowing the behavior and giving in, and dangerous for the children to get away with it. I certainly would let my children know that that kind of thing is not acceptable, and have done so when similar things (although not of that magnitude) have happened with my nephew whom my mother watches several days a week. He is disrespectful of her and she allows it/enables it.

I discuss with my children at a later time what we saw/heard and convey my feelings about it. Then we pray about it together, which I think is very important.

Someone said not to intervene, but I have said things to my nephew at times. Of course I am gentle and try to catch him at when he is alone. I don't make a huge deal, just say, "You know, Garrett..." and don't expect a response.

Is your relationship such that you can say something to your mother or sister? I have casually said a few things to my mom when the opportunity is there, and I think she may not become defensive. I say, "you should not allow him to treat you that way, disrepectful of you and not good for him". Short and sweet, and again not expecting a response. If the problem was extreme, I would have to venture further to say to my SIL, "I'm concerned with the way I have been seeing Garret treat Mom".

ArmsOfLove
05-03-2005, 05:04 PM
What concerns me the most is that my son is watching this and learning what "works" around here (I am currently living with my parents), and although how she responds to her other grandchildren is none of my business...I don't want my son "learning" to treat people this way. Am I right to be concerned or should I stay out of it and mind my own business? Yeah, it's dysfunctional, but I'd stay out of it. Talk with your ds later and let him know you will not allow it. And as he gets older and gets to interact with grandma make sure you're there and let her know you don't expect her to buy him stuff and that in your family behaving that way doesn't get you what you want--and make sure he knows the lesson and doesn't learn to behave that way :) different families have different rules and I make sure my children know that our family rules apply whether they are out with me or out with other people.