PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast cereal

milkmommy
04-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Is their a decent easy to find cold cereal that actually has some nutrutional value to it? and one that a child will eat?
My DD ussually has eaitherr Pure and simple Puffed brown rice which has the advantage of no sugar, persertives fat colors etc but no value eaiter. or Cheerios which isn't much eaither.

Deanna

DogwoodMama
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
We eat frosted mini-wheats... it *does* have added sugar but is pretty nutritious, and my dd loves mooching them from me when I eat them. ;)

Marielle
04-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Ian loves total. It does have some sugar but none that you would taste. I mix it up with raisins or freeze dried fruit for him and he eats it dry then nurses to top it off.

milkmommy
04-27-2005, 10:40 AM
We eat frosted mini-wheats... it *does* have added sugar but is pretty nutritious, and my dd loves mooching them from me when I eat them. ;)

DH and I love these as dessert treats my facorite are the new Vanilla cream :yum DD wont touch them though :( SHe wasnts the cereal to eaither be flakes or O shaped and nothing colored (which is a good thing)

Deanna

nutmeggmama
04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
we love kashi cereals, and peace cereals. DH likes Raspberry Ginger, and I like Vanilla Almond. The Kashi would have puffs, o's and flakes! All in one! And you can get them seperate. Oh, and Noah LOVES Wheaties, and Selah loves Chex.

Meredith
04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
I second the Kashi. DS and I both like their GoLean Crunch.

nutmeggmama
04-27-2005, 12:02 PM
my kids find the go leans a bit much...
the crunch, I love, but its too crunchy for them.

Piper2
04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Kevin LOVES Kashi Go-Lean Crunch, regular Kashi Go-Lean and Kashi Honey Puffs. He's also just discovered Mother's Toasted Oat Squares -- I like them, too. :yum

We also buy Mother's Peanut Butter Bumpers, and sometimes Kevin's hard-pressed to get any because DH will eat it all when he gets up overnight! ;) Barbara's Puffins cereals (there are a few different flavors) are good, too.

puffballpopple
04-27-2005, 01:06 PM

poetmom
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
When mine were young, they ate Cheerios, Kix, Life, Rice Krispies and cornflakes..with the occasional box of sugary stuff as a treat.

4Cygnets
04-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Mine really like Basic 4. The like Peanut Butter Bumpers, too. We also do shredded mini wheats and oatmeal.

Abinsmom
04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
My kids eat Crispix and Cheerios, and that's it! Neither of them will even try anything else! Needless to say, sugary cereals aren't a problem at our house!

Embracing Grace
04-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Another one for Kashi cereals here. We love the Go Lean Crunch!

Thia
04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I second the Basic 4. I have loved that stuff for as long as I can remember eating cereal! I want some NOW!

tiglet
04-27-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm all about the Kashi Cinna-Raisin Crunch. :)

I also really really really love Cinnamon Toast Crunch, which has 9 grams of sugar per serving.

boonpnutsmom
04-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Grapenuts here!!!

Piper2
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Grapenuts here!!!

I love Grapenuts. But can you believe my Kroger has stopped carrying them? :eek They have Grapenuts Flakes (what's the point?) and their brand of "nutty nuggets" that are just plain nasty, but no real Grapenuts. It's a trend I noticed when we started on Feingold last year -- Kroger is gradually eliminating name brand stuff for their own brand. :sa

Not carrying Grapenuts...that's just unAmerican! :td

Mother of Sons
04-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Mine eat any cereal put in front of them. We never made sugar cereals off limits so they aren't a big thing to them. They'll eat shredded wheat as easily as fruit loops, muslix as easily as coco puffs. They eat all cereal dry.

Punkie
04-27-2005, 07:46 PM
We like Kashi too and we just tried a new one from the "Health Food" aisle that is granola with raisins and cinnamon, but I don't remember which brand it is. Its really yummy and high in protein and not bad for fiber :) Its really good with vanilla almond milk!

Maggie
04-27-2005, 10:02 PM
If you have a natural foods store nearby, you can find lots of natural Os and flakes. We get almost all of our cereal there. :)

luvinmykidz
04-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I 2nd the LIFE cereal!! I personally love TOTAL but I don't know if a toddler would like it or not!!

MagnoliaMommy
04-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Noah's favorites are:

Multi Grain Cheerios
Clifford Crunch (made by Cascadian Farms)

:tu

Forgiven
04-28-2005, 09:32 AM
My kids eat Cascadian Farm Organic Cereal and so do dh and I. Our local store will put it on sale for $2.50 a box every so often and then I buy a bunch. The kids like all of the cereal they have tried from that brand. I also like to buy the boxes of granola and then mix it with the flakes or hearty morning cereal; sometimes a bowl of straight granola is a little too sweet. dd loves rasin bran.

Happy Mom
04-28-2005, 09:49 AM
What about good ol' bran flakes? I love bran flakes..with bananas...and vanilla soymilk, lol...