PDA

View Full Version : tummy problems

toymama
04-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Andrew has not slept good in about 2 months. For a while, I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I took him to the doc and he had an ear infection. The ear infection still isn't gone but has gotten better. But I have been wondering if his stomach is bothering him at night too. He will be sleeping fine and then he will cry out and start squirming all over. He has always been a gasey baby and lately when he wakes up like this he will eventually pass a lot of gas. Also, if I pick him up and pat his back for a couple of minutes he will let out a big burp. After this, he will seem fine and will go back to sleep. About 30 mins later it starts all over again. :/ I have tried the mylcon(sp?) gas drops but they don't seem to work. (Now I remember why I quit buying them when he was a baby :rolleyes). He doesn't eat or drink right before he goes to bed so I don't understand why he would need to burp that bad and why he isn't able to burp on his own. I hope this makes some sense. :thinkAny advice would be aprreciated.

cobluegirl
04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Is he on antibiotics for the EI?? It may be that his tummy is upset from them.

toymama
04-27-2005, 12:09 PM
He is on Bactrin for the EI. The doc put him on the regular 10 day dose, but after that he has a refill and will take 1/4 of the regular dose per day. That will mean that he will be on it for 30 days after the 10 days. (Does that make any sense?) I was worried about being on the antibiotic for so long but he has a hard time getting over the EI so I have been doing it. I didn't even know that an antibiotic could upset his stomach. He is just about to get the refill. Do you think I should not give it to him (he hasn't seemed to have problems with his ears lately) or do you think that taking 1/4 of the regular dose will help with the tummy problems? :/

Ca_mommy
04-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Maybe you should try probiotics while he's taking the antibiotics? I have seen lots of probiotics geared for children at my local Whole Foods. I know when I have tummy issues, I either drink Peppermint tea or take probiotics... does the trick!

toymama
04-27-2005, 02:52 PM
I tried to do peppermint water because my cousin said that she was positive it would work :lol He took one drink and wouldn't touch it. That was really strange because he loves sweet stuff so I thought if it worked it would be perfect. Maybe I'll try that again tonight. What is probiotics? :O I should probably know what that is. How expensive is it?

Ca_mommy
04-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, since the antibiotics are getting rid of all bacteria, including the GOOD bacteria in his tummy, that might be an indication that his intestinal flora is on the fritz. By giving him yogurt (look for LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES- lactobillus, acidophilus), etc., acidophilus pills, or other PRObiotics, it will increase the good bacteria and his tummy could be feeling better!! There are children's versions of acidophilus pills that are more concentrated than yogurt. We purchased some powder to dissolve in food, or drinks, even breastmilk, and our DD doesn't know the difference. It's sweet to the taste. It's called Primadophilus for Children. Here's a little write-up I copied from: http://www.naturesway.com/products_catalog/

Usage
Primadophilus for children is designed to deliver helpful bacteria to the gut. These microorganism strains are essential to maintaining healthy intestinal flora. Under normal conditions, trillions of bacteria exist in the intestines. As part of the body's defenses they help maintain good health by preventing harmful microorganisms from infiltrating the body. Medications taken to combat illness or infection can reduce the number of beneficial bacteria as an unwanted side effect. To maintain the healthy balance add Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children to your child's daily health regimen.*