PDA

View Full Version : natural/safe pesticides?

Radosny Matka
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Do you use any sort of pesticide? Dh and I will be planting our first garden this year (yay). He said we should just leave it, and if the bugs eat it, they eat it. :/ *I* want to eat my garden. Is there anything safe (possibly organic) that we can use to deter bugs?

godsgracegiven
04-27-2005, 01:11 AM
We don't use much of anything because of this kids. But for insect control we buy friendly bugs like praying mantis and lady bugs. We had quite a few praying mantis one year, which was neat cause one took up residence in my indoor plants. :) The lady bugs are really fun for the kids, I have some tall grass in my back yard and just the other day I seen at lest 10 lady bugs. The kids were thrilled. :)

Here is a site that has a chart for insect control.
http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html
Here is another with alot of great ideas. :)
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/sustainable/handbooks/insectcontrol/7.html

tempus vernum
04-27-2005, 04:57 AM
We use things like cayenne pepper water, garlic water, peppermint castille soap water. Beneficial homemade recipes. And of course, encourage the good bugs to come along. Basic H by shaklee can also be used - use 1/2 water and 1/2 basic H.

Ali
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I have had some success with a mix of 1 tsp dishwashing liquid (like dawn) and 4 cups water in a spray bottle. Use it pretty regularly and it helps with those little flies.

snlmama
05-04-2005, 01:58 PM
We buy the ladybugs and bought some preying mantids this year. And do the dish soap spray another poster mentioned. Larger bugs it's honestly easier to just pick them off. :shrug
I've heard people swear by sprinkling cayenne pepper around the plants, but never tried it myself. If you have ant problems I'm a big fan of beneficial nematodes. They also helps w/ insects that burrow in the ground, like grub worms. :)

Radosny Matka
05-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the great info! I'm hoping we get around to rototilling this weekend. :mrgreen

Wikolia
05-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I am trying marigolds in the garden this year. they are supposed to repel the insects. planted basil next to tomatoes. They are supposed to attract bees. :)
Vicki

Radosny Matka
05-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I am trying marigolds in the garden this year. they are supposed to repel the insects. planted basil next to tomatoes. They are supposed to attract bees. :)
Vicki

Now that is some pretty cool info. to know. Thanks!

Wikolia
05-07-2005, 09:19 PM
yes, my great uncle always planted them in his garden (marigold). always got nice zuccuni, egglant, tomatoes and corn.
Vicki

godsgracegiven
05-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Cool, I always wordered about marigolds, they are not my favorite flower, but sounds like those are worth a try. :)

Lady TS
05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Diatomaceous(sp?) earth is supposed to help kill a lot of bugs. It's basically a very fine powder that gets in their shells and kills them.

We are going to try it this year mixed in water in one of those garden sprayer things and spray on our plants. you can also mix it in the soil, but we've already tilled.

Companion planting is also a good thing(ie. marigolds in the garden, etc). Nasturtiums are also good bug deterrents--rather, the bugs are attracted to the nasturtiums and away from your veggies.

Here's a linkie: http://www.growitgold.com/resources/companionplants.shtml

Also, kind of along these lines, how you plant your veggies(as in, what goes where) will also affect how well they grow.

Another linkie: http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/vcomp.htm

Hope that helps!

kalemommy
05-31-2005, 11:58 AM
I always try to plant marigolds next to my roses to repel the bugs, and I plant lavender nearby for the same reason.

JellyBeansSlingMom
08-03-2005, 11:23 PM
I use garlic pepper tea (use in evening when bees are not as active) diatomaseous earth (can't spell) and starting to learn more about companion planting. You are actually making targets of some plants if you plant them toegther but others will actually help keep them away. You could also plant "trap" crops so they will go to those instead of the ones you prefer. Like planting spinach or cabbage out of season so the bad bugs will go there instead. Ladybugs are awesome and so are wasps.