PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies for PPD?

Radosny Matka
04-26-2005, 11:27 AM
My friend e-mailed me today. She thinks she might have a touch of PPD. Her baby is around 6-7 months old. She said she is very weepy all the time and worried about silly things all the time. She just doesn't feel herself. She is wondering what she can do to try and naturally help herself out. Any suggestions?

Lady TS
04-26-2005, 12:12 PM
While talking with my doc last week about this, he said that sometimes B6 supplements help(I think nothing more than 250 mg, but don't quote me on that), as well as St. John's Wort.

cobluegirl
04-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Here is some of the info we have posted in the depression forum.
a true natural remedy?

Hi all. I just heard about something really great, and was looking for some feedback. I have been really depressed for a couple of years. I have tried pretty much all the natural stuff and it wasn't helping. I'm just miserable and making my husband and kids miserable as well. I talked to my doc (I have had several people try to put me on antidepressants and it just went against my personal belief system, not to mention I couldn't afford it) and told him I was ready to try the zoloft. Right as I was starting it my doc (who is an MD as well as a DhT) asked if I had heard of Inositol. I hadn't. He told me it was an SSRI that is naturally occuring in food. Everyone gets some every day, but in large doses it is as effective as prozac or zoloft. It affects the brain the same way. I looked it up and it appears that it is relatively well researched and pretty darn effective-especially when taken with 5-htp. I'm starting it now and will post my results. If it's as good as it sounds then it's a great alternative for those who can't or don't want to so meds. Has anyone heard of it or tried it?

http://www.inositol-natural.com/
this link has info on what foods contain this

My doc recommended a 4 tablespoon a day dosage. I take it all at once, mixed with applesauce or juice. For the 5-HTP I use L-tyrosine which you can get at any healthfood store. It helps regulate hormones (I can't remember if it's the pituitary or thyroid it acts on.) I take one 500mg capsule. I can tell you, there's a difference for sure-and I'm under a huge amount of stress with a DCF case right now. Check me out, I'm not freaking out!

Thank Elisabeth! Some more questions if you don't mind:

- Did I read you right 4 tablespoons? I assume you are taking the powder form? The bottle Dh & I just bought says the recommended dose is 1/4 TEAspoon So I wanted to make extra sure. If I take it 4 Tbsp at a time I'll use the bottle up in about 5 days!

- Did your doc base your dosage on weight, or what? I can't ask my own doc, as I have no doc and no insurance (even if I could find a doc that would not laugh at me for this) Can it be OD'd on?

- So what does it taste like anyway?

- How long have you been on it? How long till you noticed a difference?

- Have you noticed any side effects? Particularly, any hair loss? From my reading, hair loss is a common initial side effect of SSRI's like Zoloft. I am already shedding from the stress & anxiety, and I'm, um, kind of obsessive about my hair Not that I wouldn't take it if it caused shedding, necessarily, but I'd want to be prepared for it.

Off to poke through the inositol site. Thanks!
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/inosgfish.htm

Quote:
Inositol ... administered in aquarium water showed enhancement of swimming activity of goldfish after acute treatment (5 hours).

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/inositol.htm

http://www.anyvitamins.com/inositol-info.htm

Yup, four--tablespoons. It wasn't based on weight...I dunno what it's based on. I noticed a difference within a week or so. I haven't been losing any hair-and I'm right there with you I don't know if it can be OD'd on-I will tell you I weigh about 180 at this point, but again, my doc never asked my weight. Good luck!

Wow, I think I will have to start at a lower dose & work up if necessary. That stuff isn't cheap! (Although DH says, if it can make a difference in a week or so for me, he doesn't care how much it costs, I'm gettin' it ) I know the therapeutic doses mentioned in the bit I linked to weren't quite that high. Oh and so far all I've read about OD'ing is that there are no toxic effects known but that diarrhea can accompany high doses.

Good news on the hair front I was intrigued because I've seen it mentioned numerous times now that inositol is supposed to be GOOD for hair and hair growth, and in fact one place said there was anecdotal evidence that men on supplemental inositol slowed the rate of hair loss! Yay! I believe I've seen L-tyrosine mentioned on my long hair forum as good for hair loss too.

I'm still giggling about the goldfish though.

It's working! It's working!!
I'm taking way less than Elisabeth, which may be why it took longer for me to see a difference. We've been having trouble finding it in large quantities, and it's a big stretch on our tiny budget, but I'd like to up my dose and see if it gets even better.

I take 1 tablespoon every morning in a smoothie, which also contains some protein since I tend towards hypoglycemia.

I'm also taking 500mg of L-tyrosine and a high-potency B complex, morning and night (I noticed when I was pregnant that B's helped ward off depression) alsong with my multivites. I add flax oil to my smoothie with the inositol.

My hair loss peaked briefly (ouch) and now seems to be on the decline. I can't say whether this is related to the inositol or not, however.

The best source we've found for inositol so far is, I think, www.vitacost.com, where we found an 8 oz bottle. We're currently looking for a pharmacy that can order it in quantity.

I can experience stress without blowing my top. I can enjoy talking to ds again. I feel motivated to do housework. I feel snugglier towards DH. My anxiety is decreasing. I sleep soundly. I haven't had a panic attack in a week and a half. It's a miracle!

I have used Inositol to treat hairloss in dogs if that helps!

I'm going to check it out, too.
But also wanted to say that I'm taking St.Johns Wort & a super-B-complex vitamin & it's working really well, too.

How's everyone doing on this? I just picked some up, but didn't pick up the 5-htp (I picked up passionflower instead, but I don't know if that can be used with inositol). I didn't know that you had to take such a huge dose though...guess I'll take some more later. Is it effective without the 5-htp? Here's hoping this works!

Hey mamas! I am so glad I saw this thread...I have been suffering from massive depression on and off for years, and I can feel it coming on now. I am almost 34 weeks pregnant, does anyone know if this is ok during pregnancy? Also what doses are you taking of the b-vitimins(and is there a particular brand/type of b vitimins that are good/better)? and L-tyrosine? If it's not ok during pregnancy I at least have something to look forward to treatment wise after the baby comes.

All right...I took a tablespoon about an hour and a half ago...now I'm pretty calm (the calmest I've been in days) but I'm nauseous and my stomach is gurgling. Are these three things (sudden calmness, nausea, and gurgling) related to the inositol? Does it really work this fast?

Is anyone taking this in the capsule form? How would that differ from the powder? How many miligrams are being reccomended daily?

I was going to take the capsules, but there was wheat in it...I'm gluten intolerant. So, I'm taking the powder.

I think it wore off...I'm back to constant anxiety and now I have no appetite.

I take 12 grams daily (12 grams is the dose studied in the links I gave above). How many tea-/tablespoons this is depends on the brand. The bottle will tell you there is "x" mg per so much powder (usually per 1/4 tsp serving size). I put the powder in a morning smoothie.

I took the capsules for about a week when my health food store was out of the powder. Since I didn't want to swallow 24 of them (they were 500mg each), I opened them up into my smoothie. I have some capsules left over, and if I feel particularly unstable I empty one onto my tongue and swallow it straight (I also take an extra magnesium tablet). This seems to work.

AllyRae, I didn't notice consistent change until, I think, a bit more than a week, but as I said I can take an extra capsule & feel better shortly. So I dunno

Debi, I'm taking 500mg twice daily of the L-tyrosine, and a "B-100" complex twice daily. The B-100 contains 100mg of each component per tablet, which is several thousand times the RDA of most of them so I would advise you to Google niacin and pyroxidine toxicity (those are the B's you can OD on), familiarize yourself with the toxicity symptoms as well as the hard numbers and start at a lower dosage. I appear to need huge amounts of B's, either that or I'm not absorbing most of them. I've read that stress ups your need for B's.

I don't know any reason why this program wouldn't be appropriate during pregnancy but it would probably be a good idea to discuss it with a midwife or OB who's knowledgeable on vitamin therapies.

Oh, yeah: the current best deal on inositol that I know of is at www.puritan.com. They only carry 2-oz bottles, but they are having a buy 2, get 4 free sale, so I ordered 12 oz for about $25 plus very reasonable shipping. Their brand is also high potency, 1000mg per 1/4 tsp as opposed to the usual 700-800mg range, which is nice and makes it a better deal.

Oh my gosh...this stuff makes me SO tired! I literally can't keep my eyes open after I take a tsp. How long does it take until you don't always feel wiped out after you take it?

Wow, AllyRae, beats me. I never had it make me feel drowsy. Maybe you could take it before bed? Or split the dose, morning & evening?

12 oz should be a good 2 months' supply for me, unless I'm screwing up the math (ETA: That's if it's 1000mg per 1/4 tsp potency, since how long a bottle lasts really depends on how many mgs are in it, not how many spoonfuls, kwim?)

Ok, I discovered that the fatigue lessens if I take more protein too... However, my breastfeeding 11 month old gets diahreah now...probably a side effect of too much inositol... Hopefully this stops soon for him!

I definately notice a difference though...the anxiety/panic is still there, but the inositol takes the edge off...

cobluegirl
04-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Depression infusion

1/2 oz shred licorice root (1/2C + 1/3 C = 1/2 oz)
1 oz rasp leaf (1 C = 1 oz)
1 oz rosemary leaves (1 C = 1 oz)
1 oz skullcap (1 1/3 C = 1 oz)

all measurements approximate .

combine and mix well into container. Take handful of leaves and steep 4 to 6 hours with one quart water). Chill and add juice if desired for flavor or drink room temperature. 2 + cups per day.

What I do is fill my steeper and make a pot. Put pot in and sweeten with stevia.

Here is the thread where I talk about apple cider vinegar/honey in water

On vinegar alone:
(from healing with whole foods - a quick summary of his findings)
-vinegar removes stagnant blood and emotional stagnation and can alter bad moods.
-sour and bitter flavor reduce accumulations in liver and abdomen from a rich diet
-neutralizes poisons in body and good for food poisoning
-relives edema, overweight, excess mucus and athlete's foot
-stops bleeding
-removes parasitse and most worms in digestive tract (soak raw salads to remove parasites)
-overcomes toxic effect and pain of inset bites when applied topically.

On Honey (same source)
-harmonizes the liver, neutralizes toxins and relives pain. Pasteurized honey moistens dryness and treats dry or horse throat and dry couch. userful in treating stomach ulcers, canker sores, high blood pressure and constipation
-can be applied topically to burns.
-can break cycle of alcoholism (alchohol is a sugar)
-give honey during hangover when want more alcohol
-helps with overworked feeling, menstrual problems, or when exhuasted from salty and rich foods
--raw honey dries up mucous and helpful for edema and too much weight.

I found out about it from Healing with WHole Foods:Oriental Traditions and MOdern Nutrition by Paul Pitchford. A friend recommended this book for so many reasons and TBH, she was like HUH? WHen I told her about the vinegar. It's on pg 165 if anyone has the book. Honesty it is almost like God impressed it on my heart this time. I vaguely remember the 1st time reading it. BUt this time it jumped out at me like it was in big letters

I don't know the chemistry and it doesn't say. I asked my mom who has suffered from depression, anxiety attacks, etc. and she was wondering if it had something to do with the ph balance in your body. TBH, the "chemistry" behind it is why I was skeptical but now that I have experienced it, I am curious about the chemistry but more important to me than "why" is that it is working

WARNING This can cause loose watery stools and stomach cramping. TBH, that is why I was trying not to use it much but it works so quickly that I have decided it is worth it.

DOSAGE: 1/3 C water, 1 t apple cider vinegar, 1 t honey (I used organic vinegar, raw straight from the farm honey - don't know if that made the difference)

cobluegirl
04-26-2005, 08:39 PM
One more

Homeopathic Remedies for Depression
• Introduction
• Remedy options
• Amount to take
When a person feels depressed, something needs attention. Too much stress can make it hard to cope, and important feelings may be suppressed or turned inside. A major loss or grief requires time and emotional support for real recovery—and even a buildup of minor stresses (disappointments, setbacks, trouble in relationships, or work-related problems) can contribute to depression. Dietary deficiencies, allergies and sensitivities, hormonal imbalances, or biochemical conditions may also be involved. A person going through a period of mild sadness or depression may find relief through homeopathy. The guidance of an experienced homeopath is often valuable, to choose a remedy that fits the situation best. Any person with deep, long-lasting, or recurring depression should seek the care of a licensed mental health professional.
For dosage information, please read the information at the end of this section. See also “Using Homeopathy With Professional Guidance” in What Is Homeopathy?

Arsenicum album: Anxious, insecure, and perfectionistic people who need this remedy may set high standards for themselves and others and become depressed if their expectations are not met. Worry about material security sometimes borders on despair. When feeling ill, these people can be demanding and dependent, even suspicious of others, fearing their condition could be serious.

Aurum metallicum: This remedy can be helpful to serious people, strongly focused on work and achievement, who become depressed if they feel they have failed in some way. Discouragement, self-reproach, humiliation, and anger can lead to feelings of emptiness and worthlessness. The person may feel worse at night, with nightmares or insomnia.

Calcarea carbonica: A dependable, industrious person who becomes overwhelmed from too much worry, work, or physical illness may benefit from this remedy. Anxiety, fatigue, confusion, discouragement, self-pity, and a dread of disaster may develop. A person who needs this remedy often feels chilly and sluggish and easily tires on exertion.

Causticum: A person who feels depressed because of grief and loss (either recent or over time) may benefit from this remedy. Frequent crying or a feeling of mental dullness and forgetfulness (with anxious checking to see if the door is locked, if the stove is off, etc.) are other indications. People who need this remedy are often deeply sympathetic toward others and, having a strong sense of justice, can be deeply discouraged or angry about the world.

Cimicifuga: A person who needs this remedy can be energetic and talkative when feeling well, but upset and gloomy when depressed—with exaggerated fears (of insanity, of being attacked, of disaster). Painful menstrual periods and headaches that involve the neck are often seen when this remedy is needed.

Ignatia amara: Sensitive people who suffer grief or disappointment and try to keep the hurt inside may benefit from this remedy. Wanting not to cry or appear too vulnerable to others, they may seem guarded, defensive, and moody. They may also burst out laughing, or into tears, for no apparent reason. A feeling of a lump in the throat and heaviness in the chest with frequent sighing or yawning are strong indications for Ignatia. Insomnia (or excessive sleeping), headaches, and cramping pains in the abdomen and back are also often seen.

Kali phosphoricum: If a person feels depressed after working too hard, being physically ill, or going through prolonged emotional stress or excitement, this remedy can be helpful. Exhausted, nervous, and jumpy, they may have difficulty working or concentrating—and become discouraged and lose confidence. Headaches from mental effort, easy perspiration, sensitivity to cold, anemia, insomnia, and indigestion are often seen when this remedy is needed.

Natrum carbonicum: Individuals who need this remedy are usually mild, gentle, and selfless—making an effort to be cheerful and helpful, and avoiding conflict whenever possible. After being hurt or disappointed, they can become depressed, but keep their feelings to themselves. Even when feeling lonely, they withdraw to rest or listen to sad music, which can isolate them even more. Nervous and physically sensitive (to sun, to weather changes, and to many foods, especially milk), they may also get depressed when feeling weak or ill.

Natrum muriaticum: People who need this remedy seem reserved, responsible, and private—yet have strong inner feelings (grief, romantic attachment, anger, or fear of misfortune) that they rarely show. Even though they want other people to feel for them, they can act affronted or angry if someone tries to console them, and need to be alone to cry. Anxiety, brooding about past grievances, migraines, back pain, and insomnia can also be experienced when the person is depressed. A craving for salt and tiredness from sun exposure are other indications for this remedy.

Pulsatilla: People who needs this remedy have a childlike softness and sensitivity—and can also be whiny, jealous, and moody. When depressed, they are sad and tearful, wanting a lot of attention and comforting. Crying, fresh air, and gentle exercise usually improve their mood. Getting too warm or being in a stuffy room can increase anxiety. Depression around the time of hormonal changes (puberty, menstrual periods, or menopause) can often be helped with Pulsatilla.

Sepia: People who feel weary, irritable, and indifferent to family members, and worn out by the demands of everyday life may respond to this remedy. They want to be left alone and may respond in an angry or cutting way if anyone bothers them. They often feel better from crying, but would rather have others keep their distance and not try to console them or cheer them up. Menstrual problems, a sagging feeling in internal organs, sluggish digestion, and improvement from vigorous exercise are other indications for this remedy.

Staphysagria: Quiet, sensitive, emotional people who have difficulty standing up for themselves may benefit from this remedy. Hurt feelings, shame, resentment, and suppressed emotions can lead them to depression. If under too much pressure, they can sometimes lose their natural inhibition and fly into rages or throw things. A person who needs this remedy may also have insomnia (feeling sleepy all day, but unable to sleep at night), toothaches, headaches, stomachaches, or bladder infections that are stress-related.

Homeopathy Dosage Directions
Select the remedy that most closely matches the symptoms. In conditions where self-treatment is appropriate, unless otherwise directed by a physician, a lower potency (6X, 6C, 12X, 12C, 30X, or 30C) should be used. In addition, instructions for use are usually printed on the label.
Many homeopathic physicians suggest that remedies be used as follows: Take one dose and wait for a response. If improvement is seen, continue to wait and let the remedy work. If improvement lags significantly or has clearly stopped, another dose may be taken. The frequency of dosage varies with the condition and the individual. Sometimes a dose may be required several times an hour; other times a dose may be indicated several times a day; and in some situations, one dose per day (or less) can be sufficient.
If no response is seen within a reasonable amount of time, select a different remedy.

Radosny Matka
04-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Thank you! There's lots of great info in here.