PDA

View Full Version : worst . night . ever *UPDATE 2* Verdict from Doctor

kris10s
04-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Kate screamed for HOURS last night. We tried everything. I nursed her constantly, but she hasn't nursed to sleep since she was 2 weeks old (not by my doing, just her natural thing) so that didn't help her to sleep. We tried co-sleeping, but if I wasn't nursing she was thrashing, screaming, trying to rip my face off. She must have had 20 teething tablets over the night. Her diaper was dry. She wasn't hot or cold. I gave her ibuprofen once. She just screamed. The only way I got even an hour of sleep was putting a Baby Einstein on repeat, which worked until the laptop overheated.

She usually sleeps pretty well, and when she wakes I just nurse her for 2 minutes and pop her paci back in and she goes back to sleep. What could cause that degree of trauma?

TulipMama
04-26-2005, 06:06 AM
*ack*

What a rough night! Definitely something outside of the ordinary. Honestly, I'd watch her today for any illness. Was/is her tummy tender to the touch--gas from something new she ate? Do you have an otoscope to check for an ear infection? My gut feeling is that she was in major discomfort.

Developmental spurts can lead to not wanting to sleep--but not usually the big upset that it sounds like Kate was going through. Has she learned anything new lately? Either physical dev't or verbal dev't really seems to throw the normal routine out of whack. Growth spurts lead to the constant nursing like you described--but your description sounds like it probably wasn't that.

For calming my kids (yes, I know they are older) I've started doing massage. Got the idea from BadgerMum who swears by massaging her infants feet with lavender oil. I have some "Tension Tamer" massage oil with lavender and other EOs. It's helped a *lot* when one of my boys is having a rough day. The touch, the smell, the time with Mommy. . .

kris10s
04-26-2005, 06:12 AM
She took her first steps last week and started connecting babble to the appropriate person (mama, etc.) and so she is having big developmental growth.

I forgot that I did try the lavendar oil foot massage (and then let her smell my fingers). She stopped screaming for about three minutes, then right back again.

She's fine this morning, so I doubt an ear infection. She had canteloupe for the first time yesterday, other than that, nothing but very ordinary food.

kris10s
04-26-2005, 09:16 AM
She wouldn't nap either. I tried her crib, our bed, her infant carseat (where she usually sleeps), I tried nursing, lavendar oil massage, Baby Einstein, teething tablets...

She just screamed, as long as she was lying down, and was happy as soon as she wasn't.

Sleep Strike? Ear pain?

HELP!

Wonder Woman
04-26-2005, 10:14 AM
If she's screaming when lying down I'd say ear pain. Ds has had recurring infections in his right ear and that's what he does. :hug Hope she's better soon and you both get some rest!

DogwoodMama
04-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I would second the ear pain! I was thinking teething before, but b/c she's not happy it sounds more like an ear infection... Poor Kate! :hug (and Kristen! :hug)

kris10s
04-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Argh!

Sleeping flat on her back in the crib now.

Dr's appt at 2:45 with the worst dr in the practice.

I have half a mind to just skip it, save $25 and hope it's not really ear related.

She wasn't sleeping in the infant seat, either, which seems to me like it would help the ear pain :shrug

DogwoodMama
04-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Weird. Very strange. :think

So how are her teeth? What can you see? My dd has never had an ear infection but teething HAS caused nighttime/napping issues for us...

kris10s
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I think she is cutting one or both of her two front upper teeth, but nothing conclusive to prove it.

I really really dislike that doctor. She is really condescending and if her ears are clear I am bound to get a comment.

kris10s
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Went to the doctor, ended up not seeing the awful doctor (praise God).

Kate has an ear infection. :cry She was SO upset when the doctor was examining her ear and was pouty all afternoon. The doctor also verified that the top two teeth are indeed coming in soon.

Beyond Blessed
04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
(((((Kate))))) (((((Kristen)))) :pray for quick healing.

Iarwain
04-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Poor baby. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that although I hate to give my kids drugs, when they are miserable and in pain I do resort to Tylenol or ibuprofen to give them some relief. I can't stand to see them suffer when there is something I know I can do to ease it, even if only temporarily. I use the appropriate homeopathic remedy also, but I give the painkillers to get a quick fix while their body heals.

mama2grace
04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
(((Kate))) I hope she feels better soon. Hope you're both sleeping some tonight as well. :hug

Radosny Matka
04-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Hugs - poor lil' one (and mom too).

Irene
04-26-2005, 07:45 PM
:hugs

righteous mama
04-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Poor bitty baby! :(

Just for a head's up, if you can, add some baby acidophilus to her diet. I just bought a powdered one...hold on...it's Baby's Jarro-Dophilus (http://www.jarrow.com/products/BabYsJarroDophilus.htm) by Jarrow Formulas. It really helped dd through a bad bout of diarrhea.

Soliloquy
04-26-2005, 07:50 PM
She just screamed, as long as she was lying down, and was happy as soon as she wasn't.
HELP!

As soon as I read that I thought, "heartburn." When I was PG my heartburn was soooooooooo bad when I was lying down. If the cantaloupe didn't agree with her (melon can be hard to digest) she could have had heartburn. Just a thought . . . I hope you figure it out! Poor little baby!

kris10s
04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Kate is definitely not herself, but it is so nice to know WHY. When my baby who is typically easily consoled screams for hours on end and I can't comfort her no matter what I do, I really understand people who close the door and do CIO. Those of you who have HN babies, I salute you!

Thanks for the hugs and prayers.

TulipMama
04-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Ah, poor Kate! I'm so glad that you were able to get a reason why she was upset.

I think you can get an otoscope at the drugstore for about $10. I have one and have used it to check my kids' ears. It takes a little practice. (Honestly, it's easier to line them all up and check them all--because then it's really obvious when I get to an inflamed ear! *L*)

And while I usually do the garlic oil/tylenol treatment first, the antibiotics can be helpful. (Two of my boys are on them now for ear infections--they don't get them frequently, but with the move, the airplane rides, the new germ pool--I figure it's better to head it off as soon as possible this time.)