PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Language Curriculum / Materials ????

Soliloquy
04-24-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm not officially homeschooling yet, as my DD is 14 months old. But I want to get started on a foreign language. I know some German and my DH knows some Spanish, but not nearly enough for us to talk to our DD and help her learn either of them.

I bought Muzzy on a 60-day trial. I returned it, though. While I thought the DVDs were cute and I learned some Spanish from them, I didn't think they were worth the $400 price.

What foreign language programs do you use? How much were they? I'm especially looking for CDs and DVDs as my DD can't read/write yet.

TIA!

lotsomama
04-24-2005, 09:04 PM
If you are looking for something you can learn from, then easily tranfer to a nonreader when they are ready to use electronics (the computer), I would recomend Rossetta stone (very mouse happy).
If you're just looking to give your baby an introduction, I'd check out kid's books on tape and videos from the library or puchase some from the local bookstore. We have several Bible story videos in Spanish that are pretty good.
Another option may be teaching ASL. You can start that right away with the two of you learning together. My family got the Sign with your Baby (www.sign2me.com) kit in the mail last week and even though my "baby" isn't here yet the older kids have learned all the signs on the DVD and are signing to eachother constantly. I'll need an ASL dictionary soon, they are so into it.

Sara
04-25-2005, 05:23 AM
We use and like PowerGlide for Spanish! We paid about $100 for the program, which should cover at least a few years. My dd doesn't read yet, either, and that is not a requirement of the program.

findingjoy
05-09-2005, 10:41 PM
I have used PowerGlide for Latin and Teach Me Italian (they have Teach Me German too). The teach Me... books and tapes are an inexpensive, fun way to start a foreign language with a toddler.

Mama Calidad
05-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Check the DVDs you already own. A lot of them have the option of switching the language...and it's the very odd DVD we own that doesn't have a Spanish option. We can change the language option on our satellite programming and get lots of shows in other languages there, too. All for no additional cost. :)

For computer software, we have and like the KidSpeak 6-in-1 program that you can buy from amazon. Like $30 for six languages, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. My DD loves to play with it, but they do have to click the mouse and she didn't have that skill at your DD's age.

This Busy Mom
05-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Here's the program we're using:
www.funclase.com

There's also a less expensive program that I have read a lot about, and if I think of it I'll post it (my 7 yo is keeping me on my toes today).

Soliloquy
05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all of your input. We have been doing ASL since about 7 months, and she's starting to sing back to us, albeit slowly.

I am going to look for some Spanish DVDs and CDs at the library--thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to look into Rosetta Stone--I've had several people now tell me it's good.

I'd really like to just get her used to hearing the language. I cannot roll r's and I think it might be because I never heard anyone do it until I was like 12--so I'm hoping if she hears some Spanish on a regular basis the pronunciation will be easier for her when she tries to speak it.