PDA

View Full Version : Video editing anyone?!

TraceMama
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Is anyone successfully managing to convert vhs or mini-dv to edited video/dvd files using their computer? I'm interested in starting this, but need some advice......what software is the best, what specs my computer needs, if Apple is better than Microsoft, etc.....

Thanks!

2sunshines
04-25-2005, 07:15 AM
We are in the process of purchasing software to edit our own videos on the computer and then burn them to dvd.

I have asked a few questions on this board re: the best software and had a few recommendations here: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=2780.0

We haven't actually purchased anything yet. Right now we are planning to purchase Pinnacle Studio 9 and are keeping our eyes open for a good deal on it...

If you find any more good information, please share. I'll be watching this thread. :)

SingingPraise
04-25-2005, 07:54 AM
nods.
I am using pinnacle rave and running a small biz converting folks vhs and vhsc to dvd with or without editing.
I use windowsmoviemaker and intervideo dvd creator to actual edit the films and burn to dvd.

:)

Chris3jam
04-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Well, that's kind of what dh does. But the stuff he uses is professional and/or "pro-sumer", so it's pricey. Do you still want to know what he has?

2sunshines
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I'd like to know. It's most likely out of my price range, but who knows what I could find...

TraceMama
04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for info. I've heard that Pinnacle Studio 9 is great...well, actually that anything from Pinnacle is great. Those of you who do this already, how powerful is your PC? I think we need to upgrade our computer too, not just buy the software.

Those using iMovie, how powerful of a Mac do you use?

Has anyone ever used Pinnacle and iMovie to compare/contrast the two? Which one is easier, more user-friendly, etc.?

Any help is much appreciated.

Oh, yeah, if anyone can recommend a Mini-DV camcorder that would be great too! We've been using a friend's and now I'd like my own : )

Chris3jam
04-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, this is what he uses (hardware and software). . . .. it's on our website. http://www.cms-productions.com/page5.html

It makes a product suitable for commercial/broadcast. Probably WAAAYYY more than you had in mind! :D

2sunshines
04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Tracey, when we get our pinnacle studio, my dh is planning to purchase an exterior harddrive just for the editting video stuff.... Not that our computer can't handle it, but it does take up a lot of space and many people have recommended to him either doing an upgrade or even better, doing an exterior harddrive.

thomer
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Thomer (I'm her husband) asked me to post on this. I have my own production company and am a full time editor.

1. remember to never throw away your orginal dv tapes. when your kids grow up and hdtv super 4000 is the standard they will want the orginals. dvd uses the mpeg2 standard and is not a good long term solution. Its like a jpeg picture..its ok for now, but its highly compressed and not good for manipulation later. Also dvds you burn yourself only have a 5 year max liftetime and will only play back properly on 75% of the dvd players people own.

2. unless you buy a pc specifically made for burning your own dvds from home movies (like a sony viao media edition or something) the mac is the only out of the box solution. You can digitize and make a dvd out of the box without an instruction manual.

3. empty your hard drive. a standard 7200rpm harddrive is barely fast enough if it's empty. The ideal pc solution is to have a harddrive for only storing your movies.

4. the more money you spend = the better quality you get.

5. making videos & dvd's is like woodworking. Its a tradeskill that is taught. Yes you can do it, but its not an overnight experience. if you pay someone locally you will be much happier.

6. pick your camcoder from www.cnet.com they have the best coverage of consumer cameras on the internet. there review is not as important as the customer feedback on the bottom of the page. read that part to learn the real truth about the camera you are looking at.

7. at under $1000 for a camera dont expect much. Most cameras in the same price range have about the same performance.

8. the market is artificially segmented by marketing companies. A top end Avid editor costs $200,000 for just the software, yet you can download a free version of it at Avid.com. Granted its much more limited, but it's still Avid.

9. Look online. If you dont want things edited there are tons of companies that have automated the process for cheap. There used to be companies that would do it for free and just send you lots of junk mail instead of you paying.

10. Good luck...its not easy unless you have a ilife on OSX. Stop by an apple store and they will even show you how to do it!

11. REMEMBER...DVD'S ARE DIGITAL SCRAPBOOKS...ITS ONLYTEMPROARY....KEEP YOUR ORIGIANAL TAPES!

Hope that was helpful - you can PM thomer if you have any other questions

Thomer's Husband
:babyborn <--- this emote is gross, so I'm going to use it :mrgreen

thomer
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
:rolleyes Oh dear... I'm afraid my husband is a little afraid of childbirth.....

Thomer (the wife)

rosesnsnails
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Thomer's Husband
:babyborn<--- this emote is gross, so I'm going to use it :mrgreen

:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears I think so, too. Shhhhh, don't tell :smile

2sunshines
04-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks Thomer's husband for the tips.

I didn't know that you had to keep the original tapes... :think I figured once I burned them to a dvd I could tape over the originals. So good to know...

I'll have to contemplate through all your advice. :think

TraceMama
04-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes, thank you VERY much, Thomer's dh!!! Your information was great and I'll have to muddle through it again. One reading wasn't enough for me to grasp all of it, but I really appreciate your expertise. It seemed like you're recommending iLife by Mac, huh? Thanks for the tip about keeping the tapes. Will do. :) :) Thanks again!