PDA

View Full Version : X-post: make ahead vegan meals to freeze

julbug
04-24-2005, 06:01 PM
OK, my semester is winding down and I will have a 2-3 week window of time before summer semester starts. I am trying to be proactive instead of my usual procrastinator self and make meals ahead to freeze for after the baby's born. I am also trying to think of what to bring to the birth center for the birth as I will be making that ahead too. This meal (or two, depending on how long we're there) would need to feed: my midwife, doula, DH, DS, my sister and me, if I feel like eating much at the time, but I most likely will want to eat after.

Unfortunately, even my basic cooking skills are a little rusty since DH :hearts (bless him!) has been doing most of the cooking since I got pregnant and other than making sandwiches, etc. for lunches; I'm really out of practice. So I need some great ideas, I know you've got 'em, please share.

DS (on his way to bed) wants me to add that he can run as fast as Dash :dash

Punkie
04-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Well, these make-ahead wraps (http://maindish.allrecipes.com/az/MkhdLnchWrps.asp) are really good, and you can omit the cheese or use vegan cheese :) Plus there's a TON of great recipes on vegweb.com. I've also been loving this Summery Tomato Pasta Salad (http://vegweb.com/recipes/quick/6871.shtml), and even though I've never frozen it, it does stay fresh (and even gets better!) if you keep it in the fridge. The recipe says it'll stay for at least a week :) I've frozen other pasta salads, and they've always turned out great :D

GrowingInGrace
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
hope it's ok to post large amounts! I'll post some recipes:

to freeze, prepare up to the baking stage, put in one-time-use foil baking pans (our dollar store has 3 packs!) and cover with plastic wrap then foil. before baking remove the plastic wrap and replace the foil.

Macaroni and "cheese"
borrowed and altered from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

2 1/2 C dry macaroni (cook, drain)
2-3 TB olive oil (I find 3 works better )
1/3 C flour (any kind)
1/2 tsp dry mustard (I used regular mustard first time, worked fine)
1/4 tsp onion powder/granules (more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp garlic powder/granules (more or less to taste)
1/8 tsp paprika
pinch cayenne
1 3/4 C plain (ie not vanilla) non-dairy milk
1/2 C nutritional yeast flakes
salt and/or pepper to taste
1/2 C bread crumbs (optional)

preheat oven to 375F. oil an 8-inch square baking dish or similar size and set aside. cook macaroni, drain and set aside.

Heat oil in a large saucepan, when hot stir in flour, mustard, cayenne and paprika, cook and stir constantly 1 minute. gradually stir in hot milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Sauce should continue to bubble as you add milk. cook until consistency of thick cream, about 2-4 minutes. remove from heat and stir in yeast flakes. add salt/pepper to taste. stir in cooked macaroni and mix well, pour into baking dish, top with bread crumbs if desired. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20-25 minutes. let stand 5 minutes before serving.

optional inclusions:

vegan sour cream
miso
saffron/turmeric for color

Baked Spaghetti
my own recipe

12 oz whole wheat spaghetti, cooked and drained
28-36 oz spaghetti sauce (either jarred or from scratch)
1 lb vegan "beef" or cooked TVP
1 small zucchini, diced
6 large white mushrooms, diced (or 2 portabello)
1/2 sweet onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced

combine ingredients in large bowl, transfer to 13x9 baking dish, bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.

for the soup, cook it and store in large freezer bags (I double-bag it just to make sure it doesn't take on freezer flavor!). It can then be reheated for a quick meal. Make some bread rolls to freeze along with it. VERY filling!

Tomato, Navy Bean & Veggie soup
(serves at least 10)
my own recipe

2 small cans tomato soup base or 1 large can + equivalent water
1 small can tomato paste
1 large can crushed or diced tomatoes, not drained
2-3 cups dry navy beans (soak & pre-cook)
1/2 tsp salt (approx-to taste)
16 oz mixed veggies (or equivalent of corn, diced fresh carrots, peas and lima beans)
2 cups diced green beans
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1 TB olive oil
2-3 TB veggie beef-style broth mix
2 cups water
1 tsp oregano flakes
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp garlic granules
1/4 tsp cayenne

Add soup, water, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and salt to large (6qt) crock pot, mix well. Add (cooked, drained) beans and stir gently. Start cooking on high. In medium saucepan add oil, onions and garlic, sautee 1-2 minutes. Add water, broth, herbs and veggies, simmer about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot, stir gently and cook on high until boiling (around 2 hours on our crock pot).

Good luck!

For the birth center I'd probably get sandwich fixings, fresh fruit and veggies and let the people NOT in labor fix themselves food.

Celeste
05-07-2005, 09:57 AM
here's the spinach lasagna recipe I'm making ahead today for tomorrow. 1/2 lb lasagna noodles, 2 10 oz pkgs chopped spinach thawed and drained, 2 lbs tofu, 1 T sugar, 1/4 cup soy milk, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 2 T lemon juice, 1 tsp basil, 2 tsp salt, 4 cups tomato sauce.

Preheat oven to 350. Place tofu, sugar, soy milk, garlic, lemon, basil, and salt in blender and blend until smooth. stir in the spinach. layer 9x13 pan with a thin layer of ttomato sauce, layer of noodles, follow with half the tofu filling. continue in the same order ending with remaining noodles covered by tomato sauce. Bake 30 mins. :tu