PDA

View Full Version : How may for each stage? Dipes & Covers

Lantern Light Mama
04-24-2005, 04:58 PM
How many diapers and covers would you recommend?

Small?

Medium?

Large?

We hopped on the cloth diapering train pretty late with DS (he was already over one when we started CD's) so currently I am try to decipher how many we will really need
for each stage of for our new baby. Can anyone give me a little help, and some tips ?

MarynMunchkins
04-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Are you going to do fitteds? :/

I use prefolds, and I have about 3 dzn infant ones, and about 4 dzm premium ones. I have 3-4 covers for each side. :)

BeckaBlue
04-24-2005, 07:08 PM
How many diapers and covers would you recommend?

Small?

atleast 6 covers, I'd probably do 12-15 (i wasn't using cloth, but thinking back how ds was w/ poos we woulda definately needed 10 or more)

i'd keep a couple dozen dipes (figure you should need atleast 6-8 a day, and it could be a lot more) and it doesnt hurt to have a couple dozen prefolds cuz you can still use them in wraps when they're older

Medium?

atleast 6 covers still i think, probably 8-12. i have had anywhere from 8-15

again a couple dozen, and can still get some good use of those prefolds

Large?

this is harder cuz the size/age vary so much by this time, my 20mo is still wearing mediums (well, i do larges too, but a lot of larges are too big) but figure probably atleast 4-6covers and a dozen or so fitteds

I figure you change covers every other diaper change and wash every other day or so. i always have more than i need as a JIC so i might be recomending a lot? :lol

Micah
04-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Well my 14 month old is 22 lbs.
And he wears size Large fitteds, Large Covers, and Large Wool soakers.

I have waaaay too many of all the above (40 ME Sandy's, 12 Airflow covers, 8 longies, 6 shorties, 4 ME AIO's) :rolleyes

However I could EASILY get by at his age with:
24 diapers
4 covers or 4 wool soakers...or 2 covers AND 2 soakers.
With that amount I could wash every 2-3 days.

Lantern Light Mama
04-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I am an eclectic diaperer...I use whatever I can get more or less. That could mean fitteds and prefolds or just what ever is avaible.

With DS right now, if I wash every day I can get by with 7 fitteds and two to three covers, and a few prefolds...

I have no idea for a newborn!!!

jengi33
04-25-2005, 08:32 AM
For my newborn, I'm using 11 kissaluvs and 2 dozen prefolds. I'm washing every day or two now, because I love the kissaluvs and am not using all of the prefolds! I only have two covers (that work) and think that 3 would be perfect. One on baby, one in wash, one extra! Waiting for my size small covers to arrive today, so that I have an extra!

milkmommy
04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Well I found two dozen diapers and 6 covers for each stage to be a nice number do you know what system you are planning to use?

Deanna

ShangriLewis
04-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I tend to have 6 at the newborn stage. But, I've gotten by with 2 or 3 with older kids. I rotate mine. I put the old one on top of the diaper pail and grab a new one. If it's not dirty I use it the next time until I wash some lights. I love Motherease covers they are really durable.

Heather

kris10s
04-25-2005, 03:24 PM
I have 5 medium covers and that is MORE than enough to wash every 2-3 days.
A few more than a dozen diapers lasts two days, too, when you use a wonderoo or fb at night.

So, at MINIMUM for medium I'd have:
4 covers
16 diapers (fitteds or prefolds)
3 wonderoos or FB for night
6 microfiber inserts

You could wash 3x a week that way (every 2 to 2.5 days)

Lantern Light Mama
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Since BF baby's poop so frequently should I consider more?

kris10s
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes, in the smalls, but not in M and L.

jengi33
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I haven't had BF poop on a cover yet! :tu
Of course she's only 2 weeks old, but I expected more leakage and just haven't had it.