PDA

View Full Version : Unschooling and standardized tests

Singingmom
04-24-2005, 01:23 PM
If you unschool and your state requires yearly standardized testing (like mine), how do your kids generally do on those tests?

Singingmom
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
tap, tap... Is this thing on? ;)

Seriously, I hope this question didn't bother anyone. I know standardized tests are not a true measure of what our children know. I'm just wondering how unschooled learners tend to do on them. I'm guessing real well in reading, maybe not as well in math? I'd like to be more relaxed, but those doggone tests sort of nag at me. :/

Any thoughts?

Chris3jam
04-26-2005, 06:41 AM
We haven't reached the testing stage yet. I've been worried about it. But, in our state, we have to test after 3rd grade work is completed. Hmmmmm. Maybe we'll just stay in 3rd grade for a while. :D Anyway, I've heard that unschoolers do very well. But that's not personal experience, because we have none. :D I plan to tell mine, next year, about the testing. And we'll probably to a "practice run".

Mother of Sons
04-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Last year ' scores were pretty low because he still wasn't reading well. He tested at or above grade level in all other subjects and I think 2 grade levels ahead in general knowledge. He is reading well this year so I anticipate that the test will go well.

Leslie
04-26-2005, 10:53 PM
tap, tap... Is this thing on? ;)

Seriously, I hope this question didn't bother anyone.

Sorry, but we don't unschool and we've only tested once. But, FWIW, my kids did fine on that test, above their grade levels especially in reading and comprehension. We do living books curriculum with narration being their only comprehension exercise. So, I'd guess that if your unschooling includes a lot of books that stretch their vocabulary, they'd do well.