PDA

View Full Version : Who/What is Ezzo?

craftymom75
04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I have heard about this person/discipline, and am curious who or what is it? I am not in the loop.

Thanks

Peace-
Emily

milkmommy
04-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Ohhh your lucky.
He's the author of the babywise series it advocated strick feeding schedules that have actually led to FTT in some babies hes also very punitive. Hes very controversal because he claimed he lied about a bunch of his credentials.

DEanna

craftymom75
04-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Leads me to my next question, what is FTT? I feel so new to this, as I like to call it Gentle Holistic Mothering, I feel like a new mama all over again with lots of curiosities and questions.

Peace-
Emily

SansSouci
04-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Failure To Thrive (by not feeding the baby when he/she needs to eat - I assume by ignoring a crying baby and assuming he/she is supposed to be asleep??)

I'm new to the Ezzo thing, too... but I've heard enough about BabyWise and the Ezzos that I know to stear clear.

-Elizabeth

schoolofmom
04-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Our Unprepared for Parenting forum has lots of info on him. There's also good stuff at http://www.ezzo.info

Mrs_Hos
04-23-2005, 09:16 PM
It is a good idea to actually get the book and read it so that we NON-EZZO mommas can effectively state our case against it. I haven't read it yet, but I know just enough to know I don't like it at all... I want to be familiar enough to really state my case against it! So....I need to find it and get it from the library or something...I definitely WON"T be buying the darn thing!
Any moms read it?
Is there ANY truth there?

TulipMama
04-24-2005, 07:46 AM
This is a good summary (http://www.thisclassicallife.com/archives/2005_03_01_index.php#111211617393242231) of who/what Ezzo is and the main problems with his parenting teachings.

I thought Gary Ezzo was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I had my first. And I really regret that.

Blue Aurora
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
I've read it and the few things that he may have right in the book are just common sense things that he credits himself for discovering, like every time a child cries you don't have to put a breast in their mouth sometimes there are other reasons a baby cries other than hunger... He twists the meanig of AP so whenever a person who has read his book just hears the term "attachment parenting" they think horribe things.

craftymom75
04-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I had a feeling to stay clear, I appreciate the reasons why.
Peace-
Emily