PDA

View Full Version : Major trauma turn to bliss

kris10s
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Mike was working, so I got up this morning late and was very relaxed, posted a bunch on GCM and blogsurfed. Kate woke up, I played with her for a while, then it was time for her nap. I put her down for a nap and took my shower, about 11. I got out from the shower and noticed an ant crawling across my bedroom wall, which surprised me a bit, but I started to get dressed. Then I saw two more. I glanced in the direction they were coming from and my eyes were drawn to my windowsill. I saw hundreds and HUNDREDS (and hundreds) of ants swarming my windowsill, blinds, carpet, etc. It was DISGUSTING! DH sets his dirty clothes down right there, so I look at that windowsill at least once a day and there were never any ants there before.

So here I am, half-naked, no husband in the house, thinking "what the heck should I do?!" and DD wakes up from her nap and start crying. Due to the circumstances, I ignore her and call DH. He works just around the corner, but they were swamped at the moment and he told me "I'll try to get there when I can." :rolleyes GREAT! So I grabbed my big Sam's Club container of cinnamon and start liberally pouring it over the windowsill and carpet, which caused a level of panic for the ants, but against so many, it wasn't really remedying the situation. DD is still crying, at this point, screaming. So I called our best friends who live nearby. The wife was hosting a luncheon (that I was to attend at 1) so I knew she was busy cooking, so I asked if she could spare her husband to help with Kate and some Raid to spray the outside and hopefully prevent more ants from entering. She sends him and DH comes home. He attacks the ants with the vaccuum, which worked really well. (Hadn't thought of that!) I spray Raid outside. We wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe (killing ants the whole time). At some point, DH asks me if the Dyson I want takes bags. I tell him it's bagless. DH goes back to work, I continue to kill the survivors and sprinkle more cinnamon liberally. I literally killed ants all day, though only a half-dozen at a time at that point.

We had planned to go to subway for dinner (buy one get one free coupon!) and on the way out DH asks, "so, where should we buy your dyson?" I had already pitched the dyson a while back, but we don't have much money to spare and our vaccuum works, so DH said that we'd reconsider when our vaccuum broke. My BB&B 20% off coupon was at home, and we pass Best Buy on the way back, so I suggested we stop there to look at the open box ones. We bought a DC14 (low reach) for $349! I got a dyson! There's a small dent in the metal wand, but nothing more than cosmetic and it looked completely unused, no parts missing. :dance

We used it tonight and it pulled a LOT out of our carpet. :eek We had to empty 4 times in the less than 1000 sq. ft. we vaccuumed! But now our floor is clean, except for the cinnamon-y part that is preventing a new ant infestation. :D

Mothering by Heart
04-23-2005, 05:48 PM
:dance

Wahoo!! Don't you love it??
Sorry about the ants :/

DogwoodMama
04-23-2005, 06:55 PM
:wow About the ants!

:tu About your dyson! Congrats!

tree_hugger
04-23-2005, 06:55 PM
on the way out DH asks, "so, where should we buy your dyson?"

What a man! :)

righteous mama
04-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh I am soooo jealous! ;) :lol

Enjoy your Dyson...and I understand about ants. We get them a lot...even when there is NOTHING for them to eat. It's ridiculous.

kris10s
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone!

and I understand about ants. We get them a lot...even when there is NOTHING for them to eat. It's ridiculous.
Thanks for saying this, Marcella. It was so annoying and frustrating to have so many ants in my bedroom, where there is no food! I've only killed about 3 in the past hour (a record low for today!), so hopefully our infestation will die out. As much as I hate Raid, I think I am going to spray outside again since it rained and keep an eye on the outside to make sure they are far far away.

Mother of Sons
04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Are they the teeny tiny ones? I swear they don't need food (although they'll attack any food like object) Our old apartment building was completely infested. Every single apartment had them. We used to find hordes of them inside books and even video cassettes! So gross.

Congrats on the dyson!!

Thia
04-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Congrats on the dyson. This reminds me, today I should go through and ant proof my kitchen...or at least get everything double sealed...sigh.

sarahandmadelinesm
04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
lucky you! I am saving for a dyson now:)
I didn't know cinnamon would help with ants, we get little ones every now and again in the summer, I will try it! Thanks!

gamomof2
04-26-2005, 02:14 AM
That's so cool about the Dyson!! :cool :highfive

I am sorry about the ants! My mom and her dh are having a major ant problem, too. :/

crunchymum
04-28-2005, 09:39 AM
cool! (not about the ants!)

i heard that putting peppermint EO on a cotton ball and swiping the ant trails can help.....