PDA

View Full Version : cough help

milkmommy
04-23-2005, 12:04 PM
:banghead Its driving me nutty, I have a painfull 'dry cough" I feel like I need to cough up something (TMI :blush) but I can't so I constantly have this feeling like I need to ough like somethings in my throat... Any help is appreciated. Good new so far its not causeing severe problems with my Asthma.

Deanna

righteous mama
04-23-2005, 12:29 PM
My sister tried Musinex or something like that and it really helped. I've used a fenugreek/thyme combination, but you can't use it when you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Thyme will dry up your milk.

milkmommy
04-23-2005, 12:40 PM
My sister tried Musinex or something like that and it really helped. I've used a fenugreek/thyme combination, but you can't use it when you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Thyme will dry up your milk.

I have the mussinex it seemed to work great for a bit but now nothing however I got the one with a cough suppresent which for me isn't always wise, maybe I'll try the regular type. I'm still BF so the other might not be a wise choice.

Deanna

OliveJuice
04-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Have you tried a tea with slippery elm bark? SE will not stop your cough, but it soothes the throat and airway.

milkmommy
04-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Have you tried a tea with slippery elm bark?

Whats this and where can I get some?

Deanna

OliveJuice
04-23-2005, 02:49 PM
SLippery Elm Bark is found usually in powder or capsules form. It is also in some herbal specialty teas,though depending on the stores near you it is hard to find in teas. I either make some mild tea and add SE to it or just add SE to hot water and drink. I have tons of capsules since I take SE for IBS. SE is as good as guafenisan expectorant when you have a cough and it is good for sore throats. (Oh you can also find it in some natural throat lozenges!

OliveJuice
04-23-2005, 02:57 PM
SE can be found in powdered and capsule form in most health food stores, grocery stores that have an "organic" or health/natural section, in some specialty teas and throat lozenges. SE is considered one of the safest herbs there are, and SE was used by the Natlive Americans as baby food as it is high in nutrition. (we gave it to Joshua when he was an infant for his lower GI reflux) It is also used for breaking up phelm and chest congestion (it is better than the OTC expectorant you get like Robitussion) and soothes sore throats.

I buy most of my stuff online from Mountain Rose Herbs but you can get Slippery Elm Bark capsules at GNC (just open one or two and seep with your tea and drink) or you can get capsules or powedered in bulk containers at supermarkets that have a natural or health food section, and any independent health food store should carry it.

milkmommy
04-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks is pouring rain right now but I'm going to see if I can find some when it lets up.
Deanna

cklewis
04-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I am the Queen of Cough. :sa Drives me batty. I just got over mine.

Now, Musinex keeps my cough pretty loose and productive, so if it's not working for you. . . . :think Are you hydrating lots and lots? That would be my next hunch. Hydrating and continuous hot showers.

And avoid ANYTHING that even looks like an antihistamine. For me, that's certain death. Makes my cough something terrible. My voice teacher DH would say, if he were here, that it turns your mucus into glue.

And ITA that the suppresants are rotten.

So anyway, hot showers and lots of fluids. That's what works for me.

C

cobluegirl
04-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Also for your throat is hot water with lemon juice and honey.

chelsea
04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
When I'm coughing I like to steep raw ginger in boiled water for about 15 minutes, then add the juice of one lemon and some honey. You can use ginger tea instead of raw ginger but I like the taste of the raw ginger the best. The ginger will break up any mucous and make it easier to cough out, the lemon is good Vitamin C and the honey soothes and coats your throat. If I use raw ginger I usually chew on it after I am finished making the tea just to make sure I get all the benefit from it that I can.

cobluegirl
04-26-2005, 12:24 AM
That is great info Chelsea Thanks for sharing.

milkmommy
04-26-2005, 06:07 AM
When I'm coughing I like to steep raw ginger in boiled water for about 15 minutes, then add the juice of one lemon and some honey. You can use ginger tea instead of raw ginger but I like the taste of the raw ginger the best. The ginger will break up any mucous and make it easier to cough out, the lemon is good Vitamin C and the honey soothes and coats your throat. If I use raw ginger I usually chew on it after I am finished making the tea just to make sure I get all the benefit from it that I can.

I tried this and it really helped thanks :D
Deanna

cklewis
04-26-2005, 06:41 AM
That ginger sounds like a really good idea!! I'm going to have to remember that! :ty

I know that for a sore throat, DH recommends drinking lemon juice as HOT as you can stand it with honey. It's awful, but it works too.

C

milkmommy
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Yummm a friend made me some pepermint and ginger tea with honey and lemon... Very nice :)
Ahhhhhh savoring it!

Deanna