PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil in the summer?

DogwoodMama
04-23-2005, 09:23 AM
OK, I keeping reading/thinking about the cod liver/fish oil stuff, and would really like to start taking this... I remember something on an old thread that cod oil was best in the winter, but fish oil was better for summer months? We have a "Better Health" store near us, so I was thinking about starting with Carlson's Fish Oil from there, just for myself, b/c I'm reluctant to give it to dd until I know more...

http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/BrandSubgroupItemList.asp?brandid=CARLSON&subgroupid=EPAGLA

Is this a good price? They have soft gels and liquid... does it matter or is it just personal preference? :)

cobluegirl
04-23-2005, 09:30 AM
I personally would take pills ove liquid anytime. I can't seem to swallow the oil...lol I give my kids the nordic naturals CLO strawberry pills. One swallows them and the other chews them and the third...tries to do both...lol

TulipMama
04-23-2005, 09:12 PM
CLO ought to be avoided during the summer months, because our bodies store vitamin D and we can OD on it.

Personally, I take capsules and haven't yet given it to the kids yet.

Gretchen
04-24-2005, 08:27 PM
I thought I read at one point that the liquid was preferable to the gels (better absorbed, maybe?) Most of the gels tend to be pretty low-dosage, so you may have to take a lot of them to get the same amount as you'd get in a teaspoon of liquid.

I've read the recommendations to do fish oil instead of CLO in the summer, and I frankly don't get it. :shrug Maybe if you're taking huge doses? One teaspoon of the Nordic Naturals CLO that we take has 1-10% (not sure why it's a range, but that's what it says) of the RDA for Vitamin D. That's way less than a glass of milk, and I don't hear anyone recommending cutting back on other Vitamin D-rich foods in the summer.

We did try fish oil last summer and it was a disaster for Maia. Just didn't work at all. I'm not sure why - if the small amount of Vitamin D was beneficial for her or (more likely) the DHA/EPA ratio for CLO works better for her than the ratio in fish oil (CLO has more DHA; fish oil has more EPA). Another factor may be that we use Nordic Naturals CLO and switched to Carlson's for fish oil - maybe something is different between the brands? Anyhow, it was such a bad experience that I haven't been willing to stray from what we're using to do more experimentation.

Gretchen

2sunshines
04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Those prices seem reasonable. That's about what we pay for our cod liver oil (we haven't bought fish oil yet).

We do liquid. It really isn't that bad, and I'm a completel wimp when it comes to the taste of things. Carlson's is the best brand (in Dr. Mercola's opinion) and we buy the lemon flavoured stuff and it's not bad.

I thought I read something about liquid being preferable. But I can't remember the details...

I've heard people argue about the cod liver oil in the summer. Many people saying just what Gretchen said, that unless you are overdosing on it, it doesn't matter... I don't know... :shrug I think it's probably a recommendation based on being super safe... ??? :shrug

cobluegirl
04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
We bought the Garden of Life Brand (Maker's diet) and the flavor was lemon/mint...the kids wouldn't touch it. I had to give it to my dad...am not sure he liked it much either....waste of $20

Mama Calidad
04-26-2005, 07:45 AM
I've read the recommendations to do fish oil instead of CLO in the summer, and I frankly don't get it. :shrug Maybe if you're taking huge doses? One teaspoon of the Nordic Naturals CLO that we take has 1-10% (not sure why it's a range, but that's what it says) of the RDA for Vitamin D. That's way less than a glass of milk, and I don't hear anyone recommending cutting back on other Vitamin D-rich foods in the summer.
I'm with you, Gretchen. Plus for us, we buy milk directly from a local farmer. There is no added vitamin D in our milk and we do not purchase lots of "fortified" foods. I've tried switching to fish oil, but it just doesn't work the same for me as CLO.