PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check

This Busy Mom
04-23-2005, 07:55 AM
I've been doubting myself a lot lately on whether or not I'm doing ok with my kids... a trip to a busy WalMart usually puts things in perspective.

I just went shopping with my dd last night. Someone was being very loud and mean to their son... and she asked me, "Why did that mom call her son a COW?" I told her I didn't know, and I didn't understand it, either. She said, "mom you NEVER talk to me like that." I told her that I thought it was great that she knew that, and it wasn't very nice, was it? When we got out of there, and I was angry with my dh because he was supposed to pick us up at a certain time, but he nodded off in the parking lot and I couldn't see our vehicle, so we had to stand out front for 15 minutes listening to people be mean to their kids, I asked her how many times she seen/heard someone not be kind to their child(ren) and she said at least five :( . She's 7 now and I think it's absolutely amazing that she can differentiate like that, and what a blessing it is that I can be home with them.

KingsDaughter76
04-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Yup, I hear ya! When I go out with my children I always can see how good I am raising my children....I feel so bad for the children of those parents! Awful.....

Kellina

cklewis
04-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Amazing, isn't it? :( My office mate who defies the DC rule and never has lunch with her toddler, but she runs off with her girlfriends and leaves him alone. The family at DQ today who put their toddler in a highchair facing AWAY from them at a booth all my himself while they sat behind him.

Why? Why, why, why? :cry2

C

Soliloquy
04-23-2005, 09:33 PM
It is sad. How wonderful that your daughter is so sensitive and humane.

I think many of these parents have held in the hurt from their own childhood. They weren't allowed to unleash it / fight back. They can only unleash it on people who are weaker than them. Their own children will love them regardless, so it seems safe to unload their emotional baggage.

It's very sad. Very, very sad. :(