PDA

View Full Version : Front loader washer and CDs

cannuke
04-23-2005, 05:36 AM
We're getting a new front loader (yay!). It's a Kenmore and they say to use high efficiency detergent. Any recommendations for HE soap in the front loaders when washing CDs?

wuzzie
04-23-2005, 05:54 AM
OH no! Keep the old wahser if you can just to do dipes. The front loaders can really be a pain. High efficiency means "low water" which means diapers not rinsing clean. There is another thread about this somewhere, good luck!

cannuke
04-23-2005, 06:02 AM
What about using an extra rinse cycle?

Gretchen
04-23-2005, 08:38 AM
My front loader worked great for diapers! I used a pre-soak cycle (not always, but a lot of the time), super hot water and programmed an extra rinse (but I had to do an extra rinse with my top loader before that).

I really liked the HE soap that Sears sells. It used to be in the paint department - now I think it's hidden in the middle of the appliances.

Recently we've started using Charlie's Soap (http://www.charliesoap.com/laundrypowder.htm) and I love it. I haven't tried it with diapers (everyone's been potty trained for a long time) but it works great on everything else, so I bet it would be good for diapers. It rinses super well.

Gretchen

cannuke
04-24-2005, 08:39 AM
I really liked the HE soap that Sears sells. It used to be in the paint department - now I think it's hidden in the middle of the appliances.

Good to know. I'll check that out next time I'm at Sears. According to Charlie's website, I can get them to ship to Canada, so I might try that too. The new machine is one of those ones with a "sanitary" cycle and pre-programmable extra rinse options and all that. I'll start with the hot cycle, extra rinse, etc., then play around and see what works.

wuzzie
04-24-2005, 07:16 PM
The sanitary cycle should work well, that's what it's there for. You can also get high effeciency detergent in the laundry isle, I have some Gain that is HE from Walmart.

ShangriLewis
04-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I use Bi-O-Kleen powder on Hot Permanent press. I try to do a quick rinse with no spin. That way they are rinsed and soaking wet when the wash starts so they don't soak up all the water.

Heather

Larissa
04-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I have a front loader and it does great with my diapers! I use the sanitary cycle about twice a month...and the rest of the time just normal cycles and extra rinses. I love my front loader!!! I am sure you will love it too! I also use the Sears HE detergent...and it works great!

lmgeenw
05-09-2005, 12:45 PM
I am the one who started the problem frontloader post. I am starting to figure out though that our problem is not that we have a front loader, but that we have a cheap front loader. It doesnt' heat the water or have any special settings. Yours will probably work fine as long as you are getting a good one.

GodisGood
05-09-2005, 12:49 PM
We used to have a Maytag front loader. Paid a pretty penny for it. We included it in the sale of our last home. I will never have a front loader as long as I'm CDing. My diapers were never as clean as they should have been.

asher
05-10-2005, 01:05 PM
We use a Kenmore FL to wash our dipes on Sanitary & do an extra rinse & spin. I put a vinegar rinse in, too. We use All Free & Clear & that does pretty well, but only 1/3 of what's recommended for regular washes otherwise we get :hissyfit by the washer :D

I'm interested in trying the Sears brand, though. Thanks!

Tina

canadiyank
05-11-2005, 11:45 PM
I have an HE3t...are you getting a 4t??? I'm sooo jealous. ;) The 3t has an extra rinse but the 4t has an additional one. Here's my routine...

1. Delicates on "heavy" soil with a scoop of Amaze in the prewash section (I'm originally from Canada and my parents bring Amaze down for me, but I'm sure you know what it is, LOL). Then after it prewashes drain but don't spin (press cancel twice). This keeps the dipes full of water so when you put it on the next cycle they don't suck up the water, which, after all, is what dipes are supposed to do! Delicates uses more water and it acts as my presoak and gets the poopies off.
2. Sanitary cycle (no prewash, since that's what Delicates did for you), extra rinse, extra spin (sometimes with stain cycle or soak depending on my mood, LOL) with a tiny bit of Bi-O-Kleen. Sometimes I add vinegar in the fabric softener cup, sometimes some Downey Advanced (which I don't believe you can get in Canada....but anyways, it doesn't build up on dipes like normal fabric softener but it's a bit tougher to find), and I have hard water so every few cycles I add some Calgon water softener to the detergent.

Sounds kinda complicated but it's not...

I have had good luck with the brand Sears sells that's free and clear, HE Tide Free and Clear (which I FINALLY found!), Bi-o-Kleen, and 7th Generation's HE, which is lavendar. I emailed them and they are currently testing their free and clear for HE...I'm asthmatic so prefer the free and clears. Oh yeah, and I really like "Sun and Earth" brand HE, which I've only found at one store. I always use less than they recommend, even on my regular clothes. Way less for dipes.

HTH!

cannuke
05-12-2005, 07:38 AM
I have an HE3t...are you getting a 4t??? I'm sooo jealous. ;)

Actually, yes it's the 4t! It arrived yesterday and I did a load of towels and sheets last night. DH and I sat in front of it and watched through the window as the laundry went around and around ... (yes, we had little to do last night!) The laundry came out almost dry! :highfive

Thanks for the hints about the dipes. Actually, I've never used Amaze. I have seen it in the store, though so I'll go and get some. Also a good point about hard water. I'm on the prairies and the water is SO hard here. We don't have a water softener yet, either.

asher
05-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Actually, yes it's the 4t!

ooo, did you get a colored one?

DH and I sat in front of it and watched through the window as the laundry went around and around ... (yes, we had little to do last night!) The laundry came out almost dry!

isn't it entertaining? ...and efficient? it makes line drying great!

tina (sorry 'bout the lowercase, nak)

cannuke
05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Actually, yes it's the 4t!

ooo, did you get a colored one?

No, all of our other appliances are white, so we went with white. The colors were an extra $200 or so! :eek We also didn't get the pedestal. We figure that we have enough junk drawers around the house already. ;) That, and DH has already built me an awesome extra shelf over the washer and dryer to put all the laundry stuff.

asher
05-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah, we didn't do the pedestal, either. $200 for color :eek Wow!

Tina