PDA

View Full Version : motivating daily habits

Robersonlass
04-23-2005, 02:07 AM
I am really trying to work on daily habits with dc. When we wake up we get dressed, make bed, breakfast. I will say you need to _____, then I see you are having trouble getting ___ done do you need help. They will respond they don't want to get dressed, they just want to play, I wil say work before play, lets get your clothes on a other things then you can play. At this point the kids turn into an uncooperative lump of clay. I have tried varying the routine but with hs there are things that need to get done and I feel like I am pushing stubborn donkeys. My help is available, they just don;t want to do it. :banghead :doh:neutral :(

TulipMama
04-23-2005, 07:40 AM
I made small posters, simple pictures and words--one with our morning routine and one with our evening routine. It helped a lot--transferred the responsibilities to the boys, and was a neutral list I could point to instead of being "the enforcer."

Honestly, I still struggle with routines and habits personally, so it helped me, too. *grin*

Also, we've memorized some Scripture and poems that help:

Work while you work,
Play while you play--
One thing each time,
That is the way.
All that you do,
Do with your might!
Things done by halves
Are not done right.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not unto men. Colossians 3:23

godsgracegiven
04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
They will respond they don't want to get dressed, they just want to play, I will say work before play, lets get your clothes on a other things then you can play. When this happens, I restate what needs to be done then I give an option, like: "do you want mommy to dress you or do you want to dress yourself?" or "do you want to start getting dressed with your shirt or pants?" Sometimes, I use the options in the the 5-steps, and that seems to help. :)