PDA

View Full Version : Increase in facial hair ?

mom2_AthruZ
04-22-2005, 12:52 PM
If this isn't the right place to post please plop it where it belongs. ;) My sister has seen an increase in facial hair in the last year. She is 26 and has had two children her most recent 2yrs ago. My thought was hormone imbalance and told her I would ask here for advice. Has anyone experienced this and is there an herbal help/remedy?

TIA :)

Mamaka
04-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Does she have any other symptoms such as irregular cycles, increased acne, weight gain, insulin resistance, etc? The reason I ask is increased body/facial hair (called hirsutism) can be a symptom of polycycstic ovarian syndrome and is usualy coupled with some of these other things. I would guess PCOS is probably not the problem since she has 2 kids (am assuming she did not have problems getting pg) but it might be worth having her dr look into if she does have some of these other issues as well. Here's a website that talks about hirsutism - causes and treatments - that might be helpful. http://hirsutism.homestead.com/

HTH :)

cobluegirl
04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
I would say that yes that is a hormonal imbalance....not sure how to fix that though..other then wild yam perhaps.

Cherish
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I was told to go on bc pills to regulate my hormone levels. I did till I got married, and have since just been, well unbalanced. I would love to find an herb that is safe to take while pregnant and breastfeeding, and I know my issue is that I dont have enough estrogen. So I need estrogen rich foods and to lay off the estrogen inhibiting foods. I have a link somewhere about that.

I have to have my brows, chin, and lip waxed every 3 weeks!

mom2_AthruZ
04-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Does she have any other symptoms such as irregular cycles, increased acne, weight gain, insulin resistance, etc?

She said that she has an increase in acne and she has gained weight. I will pass on the link you gave me Sally, thanks. :) I have a cousin who was just diagnosed with PCOS, I didn't realize these were other things she would be dealing with.

I will tell her about the wild yam as well. She is supposed to find out if her city has a health-food store. I am the only "crunchy" person in my extended family and I am really not as crunchy as I could be. Herbal remedies are new to her but she is totally open to trying anything that will help.

So I need estrogen rich foods and to lay off the estrogen inhibiting foods. I have a link somewhere about that.

If you find the link please post it. :) In the mean time I will do some searching as well. I had thought about estrogen rich foods. She also has to go get waxed often.

Thanks ladies I appreciate the help.

Cherish
04-23-2005, 11:59 AM
http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/hrt/hrt_food_and_estrogen.htm

Foods Containing Natural Estrogens

A number of different foods and herbs are sources of natural plant estrogens, and can be very helpful during menopause, The following is a list of some of the best food sources of estrogen. These foods are also high in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and essential fatty acids, and they are low in saturated fat. In other words, they are nutritious and should be part of your diet on a regular basis. Alfalfa
Animal flesh
Anise seed
Apples
Baker's yeast
Barley
Beets
Carrots
Cherries
Chickpeas
Clover
Cowpeas (black- eyed peas)
Cucumbers
Dairy Foods
Dates
Eggs
Eggplant
Fennel
Flaxseeds
Garlic
Hops
Licorice
Oats
Olive oil
Olives
Papaya
Parsley
Peas
Peppers
Plums
Pomegranates
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Red beans
Red clover
Rhubarb
Rice
Sage
Sesame seeds
Soybean sprouts
Soybeans
Split peas
Sunflower seeds
Tomatoes
Wheat
Yams

Estrogen Inhibiting Foods

If you are suffering from breast cancer, PMS, fibroids, ovarian cysts, and other situations that estrogen might exacerbate, the following estrogen inhibiting foods might be of interest to you.
Berries
Broccoli
Buckwheat
Cabbage
Citrus Foods
Corn
Figs
Fruits (except apples, cherries, dates, pomegranates)
Grapes
Green beans
Melons
Millet
Onions
Pears
Pineapples
Squashes
Tapioca
White rice
White flour

Irene
04-23-2005, 02:48 PM
interesting. I think i have too much estrogen and needed progesterone. but havent seen a difference in hair. lots of waxing for me :/

mom2_AthruZ
04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Thank you Cherish for the link and the list. I passed them onto my sister. :tu