PDA

View Full Version : a ? about natural consequences

godsgracegiven
04-21-2005, 02:13 AM
Would losing a privledge be a natural consequence? Like losing a T.V. privledges? Maybe, I need to give a better example, I just want to make sure I am staying on track. :)

Teribear
04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
No...but it might be a logical consequence.

Natural consequences are what occur as a direct result of the action without you having to do anything. You touch something hot, you get burned (for example) is a natural consequence.

MidnightCafe
04-21-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't think loosing TV is a natural consequence since it doesn't follow from a "wrong" action. A natural consequence might be being hungry after refusing to eat or failing a test for not studying. A natural consequence is something that just happens as the result of an action.

Now, maybe loosing TV could be a "natural" consequence for abusing TV - like watching shows they are forbidden to watch or turning on the TV when asked not to. I'm not sure, but I think that might be considered a "logical" consequence, rather than a natural consequence. I don't think the terminology matters so much though. It's more that the consequence should follow from the action/behavior.

Radosny Matka
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Losing T.V. becomes a punishment and not a consequence when it doesn't fit the "crime" - such as child hit other child, child left bike outside, etc.

sadie
04-21-2005, 10:21 AM
ITA with MC and Sara. If the T.V. priviledges are lost b/c of behavior directly related to the T.V. (watching when told not to, etc.) then it is a "logical consequence" (the 'abuse it, lose it' rule).

But if the T.V. is taken away for other stuff, unrelated to actual T.V. watching, then it becomes punitive b/c it is arbitrary, and doesn't fit the 'related, reasonable and respectful' criteria that consequences should meet.

HTH :)

jujubnme
04-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Well, losing TV privileges would be a natural consequence if the child broke the TV ;). Otherwise, what the others have said about logical consequence (if the TV privilege was abused) and punishment (for an unrelated offense) is right on!

Joanne
04-22-2005, 06:52 AM
Would losing a privledge be a natural consequence? Like losing a T.V. privledges? Maybe, I need to give a better example, I just want to make sure I am staying on track.

I agree with the definitions above. However, I hasten to add that losing TV privileges can be a related logical consequence. Confused? ;) :shrug

In my home, TV viewing has a direct relationship to attitude, bad behavior and other issues. So, taking away the TV or severely limiting it does fall into the category of proactive discipline; setting them up for success.

Also, I'm not opposed to logical consequences as children near school age.