PDA

View Full Version : What to use for bee/wasp stings?

Lady TS
04-20-2005, 10:58 AM
As far as I know, no one is allergic to bee stings. Fortunately no one has been stung(yet).
Last year at the part a little boy was stung by a wasp and another mama whipped out this stuff and put on it and he stopped crying instantly. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but I think it was like Sting-eeze or something like that. Anyone ever heard of it? It somehow neutralizes the venom...

Am I thinking of the right thing? Is there another product that works this well that you have found? I want to get some and put it in my 'arsenal' of medicines.

milkmommy
04-20-2005, 11:01 AM
I've always covered a bee sting with mud it's always worked for me. DH a gadener we've had our share of stings

Deanna

nutmeggmama
04-21-2005, 10:44 AM
all my life, my mom would make a little paste of e baking soda and water, and smeared it on our stings.
I havent heard of what you speak...sorry
:shifty :mrgreen

Kasi
04-21-2005, 10:53 AM
We used to use "sting-eze", but it's become hard to find. You might want to check in the sport good dept of Walmart (or other such stores)...it would be near camping stuff & bug repellent.

When we didn't have it, my mother used to keep a can of chewing tobacco in the first aid kit.

Lady TS
04-21-2005, 11:04 AM
We used to use "sting-eze", but it's become hard to find. You might want to check in the sport good dept of Walmart (or other such stores)...it would be near camping stuff & bug repellent.

When we didn't have it, my mother used to keep a can of chewing tobacco in the first aid kit.

Eww....so....do you have to chew the tobacco and then apply it?

I'm thinking I might not tell dh about that..he might pick up that habit again. :sick :lol

Kasi
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Eww....so....do you have to chew the tobacco and then apply it?

:lol No, no...you don't have to chew it! Actually, if it gets dried out, you can simply add water to it when you need it.

I'm allergic to bee & wasp stings...not bad enough for an epi-pen, but bad enough that I get HUGE welts & rashes from it. Something about the chewing tobacco seems to draw out the poison quickly...mud does work pretty well too, but not fast enough for me.

My dh just gave up that habit a while back too. In fact, he actually hated chewing, but he had such a nicotine addition (as a smoker) that he chose to chew while he was at work (underground mines, can't smoke down there). Thank goodness he quit both last year, been tobacco free for well over a year now. :) :tu

kris10s
04-22-2005, 05:08 AM
My mom used charcoal, the kind you buy from coops and hfs. It worked great!

Iarwain
04-22-2005, 08:04 AM
We use homeopathic Apis. It works great. It is not a topical, though.

I just heard the other day that tea tree oil rubbed on right away will stop if from swelling. A friend told me about it and it worked well for her and for her mother who is allergic.

Meat tenderizer is supposed to work too by breaking down the proteins that cause a reaction.

righteous mama
04-28-2005, 09:03 AM
I stepped on a wasp one time and my boyfriend had to carry me to his house. No one was home, so no mom to tell him what to do. But he got some water with baking soda and stuck my foot in the pan. His mom got home and wondered what my foot was doing in her pot, but he did the right thing. It was a nasty sting and it barely hurt after that.

Moon
04-28-2005, 10:31 AM
We've always used straight TTO on bug bites and stings, it does pull the swelling out fast. My kids had fire ant bites that never swelled last summer after TTO was put on immediately after the bite. It even shooshed a fussy MIL after a fire ant bite. The next time she saw us she wanted to know where she could buy some :lol

tonjab
04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
This is gonna sound weird but..... When we get stings I go out and find 3 different wide leaf weeds, then I crumble them up over the sting. Relieves it almost immediantly.

allisonintx
05-04-2005, 09:04 PM
homeopathic apis can be crushed and used topically, but it's best given quickly, orally.

arwen
05-05-2005, 11:07 AM
i've heard vinegar works great...and toothpaste.

missythemom
05-09-2005, 10:09 AM
neat thread :) not to steal your post but along these lines, how do you get the stinger out?

luvinmykidz
05-10-2005, 09:18 AM
You can pull the stinger out with tweezers ;) My Grandma always rubbed raw onion on our bee stings and it took away the pain immediately!! :tu

Shawn
05-11-2005, 05:44 PM
You can pull the stinger out with tweezers ;) My Grandma always rubbed raw onion on our bee stings and it took away the pain immediately!! :tu

I heard somewhere you should not use tweezers, that you should use a credit card --perpendicular to your skin, scrape across the stinger. :shrug I'm no authority, though. ;)

I remember when I was a kid my cousin stepped on a bee. We sat on the porch for a long time, trying tobacco, baking soda AND onion. Nothing could calm that kid down...poor Johnny :(