PDA

View Full Version : Can I find infant drops that are only vit D?

Radosny Matka
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
My dr. recommended that my baby be given a multivitamin soley because he is bf. :rolleyes I do however want to give him some vitamin D drops - maybe 2x a week. Where can I find some? I checked the pharmacy, and they didn't have any.

sadie
04-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Sara, i looked everywhere for these too, and I couldn't find any. I will be watching this thread with interest. :)

Punkie
04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Cari (I think she's CoMommy on here) just told me that her pedi recommended the same thing. I guess its a new AAP recommendation?

cobluegirl
04-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Why? I don't understand this. Why do they think they are defiecent in this? Also..if you are bf and you think is a problem why not just eat foods that are high in Vit d? (not being snarky..just perplexed at this)

Radosny Matka
04-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Why? I don't understand this. Why do they think they are defiecent in this? Also..if you are bf and you think is a problem why not just eat foods that are high in Vit d? (not being snarky..just perplexed at this)

:shrug Good question. What's high in vitamin d? My diet is limited right now.

Punkie
04-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, you can get Vit D just by being in indirect sunlight, which is why I've heard that at least some pedi's are saying that you can just make sure that your child isn't cooped up in the dark :P

Radosny Matka
04-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Well, you can get Vit D just by being in indirect sunlight, which is why I've heard that at least some pedi's are saying that you can just make sure that your child isn't cooped up in the dark :P

I have read that a high SPF sunscreen (which I use) negates that. Yes? We are outside a lot during the summer, but I slather my kids in a 45 block.

Mama Calidad
04-20-2005, 07:22 AM
This information may be helpful to you:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

Radosny Matka
04-20-2005, 08:15 AM
This information may be helpful to you:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

TestifyToLove
04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
You need approximately 5 MINUTES of direct sunlight on the cheeks to synthesize enough vitamin D for the body's needs, a bit more if your skin has more melanonine.

So, why is the AAP now recommending vitamin D drops? Couple of reasons. There has been a rise in rickets (caused by vitamin D defeciencies) in breastfed babies, especially darker skinned breastfed babies. But, it can also be traced to a decrease in getting children OUT in the sun these days.

AAP considered recommending more sunlight for children and decided that they would be risking skin cancer (which is related to the number of sunBURNS which occur in childhood, not merely sun exposure).

The final coupe in the decision was funding of the studies and policy recommendations by the company that happened to make the only infant vitamin drops that contained vitamin D.

LLLI is directly at odds with AAP on this recommendation. They recommend getting some SAFE sun exposure, meaning not burned, not in the heat of the day and not overdone rather than vitamin D, which incidentally will interfer with the pristine gut of an exclusively breastfed baby and negate quite a few of the benefits of allergy reduction, etc of exclusive breastfeeding.

Obviously, make your own decision ultimately, but I refused vitamin D drops for my breastfed babies. I am very sun concious and safe with sun exposure. But, the solution to skin cancer is NOT a no sun policy but a safe sun policy. I think the Lord knew what he was doing and its not necessary on this issue to add more potions to provide what a child needs.

chelsea
04-25-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd say get the Vitamin D from the sun as much as possible. I used Vitamin D drops during winter when it was too cold to take my son outside (my son is biracial and darker-skinned individuals need more Vitamin D). As far as Vitamin D drops go, that is really odd you can't find any. Here in Canada, Vitamin D drops are sold over-the-counter everywhere, from pharmacies to Walmart. Must be different in the States! :shrug

Radosny Matka
04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
I'd say get the Vitamin D from the sun as much as possible. I used Vitamin D drops during winter when it was too cold to take my son outside (my son is biracial and darker-skinned individuals need more Vitamin D). As far as Vitamin D drops go, that is really odd you can't find any. Here in Canada, Vitamin D drops are sold over-the-counter everywhere, from pharmacies to Walmart. Must be different in the States! :shrug

I don't need special infant drops - just any over the counter drop?

chelsea
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
The drops sold here are specifically for infants. I think the brand is called D-Vi-Sol or something, and Walmart sells a generic brand of the same thing.

Radosny Matka
04-25-2005, 08:11 PM
The drops sold here are specifically for infants. I think the brand is called D-Vi-Sol or something, and Walmart sells a generic brand of the same thing.

Thanks! I will look for them.