PDA

View Full Version : When does your school year run?

Winkie
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
September to June? Year-round? Other?

(one intriguing idea i saw elsewhere was 3 mos on then 1 mo off year round - so breaks for Dec, Apr, Aug)

ShangriLewis
04-19-2005, 07:55 PM
We school year round with breaks if need be. Like on hot days in the summer we might go to the beach. Or when we go camping.

I couldn't stop Gibran learning if I wanted to.
Heather

blessedmomof4
04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
We school year round with breaks if need be.
Ditto.

We take a few xtra days for Thanksgiving, Christmas break, Spring Break, and a few weeks off in August.

Singingmom
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
We started out Sept. to June, but my little ones forgot so much over the summer :doh, I decided never again. It works much better for us to go year round with time off when we need it, a day here and there, sometimes 2 weeks at a time, longer in December. This year we moved and took more than a month off, but I didn't worry about it because I knew we could take as long as we needed to get through our materials. :smile

TestifyToLove
04-19-2005, 10:12 PM
year-round here. Every once in awhile, I find we all need a break and we take it. But, mostly we just school. Of course, since life is school it works out well anyway.

lenswyf
04-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Ds in in K, so we have no pattern as yet. We had planned for Sept-Jun, but there are some things that I didn't do during the "school year" that I want to do in the summer, and dh wants to do MathUSee with ds during the summer. So, I guess we're moving to a year-round schedule, though summer will be lower key.

Sara
04-20-2005, 06:26 AM
I think we're just going to continue to school year-round, although we'll probably take some breaks over the summer. Schooling year-round makes me more relaxed about all the breaks we end up taking throughout the year. :)

Mama Bird
04-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Year-round here, too. We are much more relaxed in the summer, and concentrate mainly on reading and science. We just sort of choose an insect or plant, study it until we're done, then move on.

MomTo7
04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
We school year round with breaks if need be. Like on hot days in the summer we might go to the beach. Or when we go camping.

I couldn't stop Gibran learning if I wanted to.
Heather

us too, easier to just stay with it. :)

lotsomama
04-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Since I started to hs with older kids who had already been used to summer break and I was still working full time, we started with September-June. Now that I am home and learning to be more relaxed, the youngest dd will be doing light schooling (math & reading) throughout summer. The older girls got behind in their science, so they will finish that out. They like me to help them choose their summer reading too, as long as they don't have to write any papers about it. Our local Shakespeare festival won't be showing the play we want to see until June, so that's school too...
It would just be harder with my older ones to do a curriculum in the summer since they both get/have jobs and go on several camping/church trips with wildly different scheduals. I live by my calendar in the summer just to keep track of it all. I count their summer activivties for school though - even if it's just PE, but they almost always get Bible, science, work study, and personal finance.

Sandy
04-22-2005, 09:51 PM
We school year round...we are just less intense about it during the summer months. Part of my reasoning...other than the traditional "they lose too much over the summer" is that learning is a lifelong, continual process...it's not a start-stop thing. Just as I want God infused in every aspect of our family, I want learning to be a normal part of our day, no matter what the month!

I also feel freer this way to take a day to visit Grandma or do something not at all school related...or simply say it's a break day and give the kids a day off.