PDA

View Full Version : We did it!!!!!

mummy2boys
04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Well I am proud and I just had to share :smile

Shopping for us is usually a BIG drama......so since starting GBD we have talked about what sort of behaviour we should use at the shops (manners, think of others etc). We talked about it yesterday before I dared venture out and the boys thought that if they were respectful, kind to others (not shouting, running, generally being rowdy :P) that a ride would be a good reward.

Sooo.....off we went (with many prayers and trepidation) and we prayed in the car before we left and when we got to the shops. I had to ask the boys once to lower their voices a bit and they were EXCELLENT :) :) :) :) :)

A lady we passed in the supermarket a few times stopped me in the last aisle and said that it was nice to see well behaved children who were helpful (they were putting things into the trolley as I pointed them out) and not shouting or running around the aisles. She said I was a good mum who obviously taught my kids well. :wow

Well, I thanked her and went on our way. When we were out of earshot I praised the boys and told them how proud I was with them and what a good job they had done about thinking of others and being respectful. I also thanked God for seeing the "fruits of my labour" at last!!

It might not seem like much but the last few months have ben very, very torrid ones and I was beginning to lose hope but now maybe I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. I just wanted to share with you all as you wonderful mammas have helped me more than you know and encouraged me and I have read alot and I think we are beginning to see a change and I owe a lot of you a big :grouphug

THANK YOU ALL :heart :heart :heart :heart

Irene
04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
:tu

ArmsOfLove
04-19-2005, 04:46 PM
:woohoo :praise :thumbsup That is so awesome :D :hug

mummy2boys
04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Crystal ~ Just a quick question......was it okay that I gave them a reward or incentive for being good??? I don't want them to be good just so they "get" something IYKWIM

Also, what if they had've been naughty.....do I them remove the priviledge???

Sorry but first time success and I know it won't alweays happen like that so I want to be prepared TIA :) :)

ArmsOfLove
04-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I think that a reward to help change a habit is a fine thing :) Usually what I do is plan something fun or special for the end of something difficult. I really stage it that the goal is setting us all up for success and fun. As soon as we're done shopping we will get french fries for the ride home, or whatever. I remind them of the fun to come but try not to threaten them with it. If they are really losing it then we go home--not to take away the reward, but because they aren't able to do anything, swim? It's only taken one or two times of actually leaving and going home and they knew I wasn't kidding, and they also know we only do it when they are too tired/overwhelmed/etc.

mummy2boys
04-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks Crystal :tu

Radosny Matka
04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
:clap :woohoo WTG!

SansSouci
04-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Wow! Good for you!

I can totally sympathize - it's the reason I haven't been grocery shopping in about 4 weeks! It's just not worth the fight with Emily in the grocery cart. (DH is out of town for a few months, so we've been eating a lot of fast food/restaurants.)

-Elizabeth