PDA

View Full Version : pinkeye

sadie
04-19-2005, 04:26 PM
dd, seven mo, caught pinkeye last night. :( I took her into the doctor, who explained to me that while pinkeye is viral, it can trigger a bacterial infection, so dd must take antibiotic eye drops.

What? :shrug I don't get it. If it's viral, and no bacterial infection has occured yet, then why should she be in antibiotics? And lets say a bacterial infection has already set in, along with a viral? Isn't there anything else I could do first, besides give her antibiotics right away?

I came home and put breastmilk in dd's eyes, and again a few hours later, and it seems to have helped. I am planning on putting a moist chamomile teabag on her eye later. Do I still need to give her antibiotics?

boonpnutsmom
04-19-2005, 04:59 PM
I would not give her the antibiotics, in my experience the BM works the best!!!

flowermama
04-19-2005, 05:03 PM
yes, I've heard BM is great for pink eye. I wouldn't give the antibiotics either.

:hug

Charlie U
04-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't do the anti b's either. Hope her pink eye clears up soon.

MarynMunchkins
04-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Bm works MUCH better than the eyedrops. It's taken 3 days to clear with antibiotics, and less than 24 hours with bm. :)

sadie
04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
So I'm not at risk of seriously hurting dd if I don't do the antibiotic? The doctor said if we don't "aggressively" treat the pinkeye, it will become a chronic condition.

It doesn't make sense to me. Plus, if it doesn't go away by Thursday, I can decide to use the prescription then, right? I just feel like I should first try something other than antibiotics, especially if it's a viral infection.

ETA thank you so much ladies! :grouphug :ty I don't know what I'd do without you.

MarynMunchkins
04-19-2005, 05:34 PM
If you don't treat the pinkeye with anything, it could be chronic. But you ARE treating it - with bm. :)

snlmama
04-19-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd give it 4-5 days, before using the antibiotic. Bm is probably better than the antibiotic, but my ds has had pinkeye that cleared up in a few days w/o using anything. If it gets worse or lasts more than a few days, THEN it may be bacterial and you should use the antibiotic eyedrops. Yes, you can start them later. :)

lmgeenw
04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Breastmilk has cleared up pinkeye for us several times. A word of warning though... I got lazy and instead of expressing my milk in a cup and squirting it in my son's eye with a syringe, I squirted it directly from my breast. Well, my son didn't appreciate it very much and it lead to a small nursing strike. :eek You might want to use a dropper or syringe.

cobluegirl
04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
I concure with what everyone else stated.

chelsea
04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
So how did it work? Do tell!

lmgeenw
04-26-2005, 09:46 AM
So how did it work? Do tell!

Sorry if this is too late. I havesn't followed the post for a few days. But for future reference... I hand-expressed my milk into a baby food jar and put it in my child's eye with an eye dropper every two hours or so. Not sure where I got the two hours. i think I read it somewhere.