PDA

View Full Version : making yogurt from breastmilk

margot
04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Has anybody done this? Since I'm dairy free, I'm hesitant to give dairy to ds. I was reading Ruth Yaron's "Super Baby Food" about making yogurt. I figured breast milk yogurt would be a nutritional powerhouse!

Punkie
04-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I've never done yogurt, but my best friend did the "breastcicles" and froze them in the little popsickle things, and her son (who was already weaned at the time that her youngest was born, but had to be dairy free) LOVED them :)

Iarwain
04-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Breastmilk has active enzymes and antibacterial agents and the culture that makes yogurt is a bacteria, so you'd probably have to scald it first to inactivate those factors or the culture won't grow. You have to do that with raw cows' milk too when making yogurt. LMK how it turns out. I've considered trying it too.

lmgeenw
04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Super Baby Food and The LLL Whole Foods cookbook both say to scald raw milk before making yogart out of it. I would think that would kill a lot of the good stuff in the breastmilk. I have thought about doing something like this. I know some people make their kids breastmilk smoothies. We make kefir out of raw cow's milk and you dont' have to scald the milk first. Kefir is like yogart but much easier to make and you drink it. mercola.com sells the starter for kefir. let me know if you try the yogart.

chelsea
04-25-2005, 04:50 PM
If you have an abundant supply perhaps you could start a home-business?! ;)

margot
04-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I tried the Super Baby Food recipe with 8th continent soy milk last weekend. It didn't gel up very much. I'm going to use the fresh breastmilk I've pumped this week and give it a try this weekend.

Since I'm dairy free, I figured this would be a way to give ds a little more food, but avoid dairy or soy. I'll post how it turns out.

Iarwain
04-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I tried the Super Baby Food recipe with 8th continent soy milk last weekend. It didn't gel up very much. I'm going to use the fresh breastmilk I've pumped this week and give it a try this weekend.

Since I'm dairy free, I figured this would be a way to give ds a little more food, but avoid dairy or soy. I'll post how it turns out.

Yeah, when I do soy yogurt I use powdered soymilk (cheaper and no additives) with a little honey and cook it with a little cornstarch first to thicken it up. Unflavored gelatin is supposed to work too.

I really want to hear about your experiment. I've got a little "milky" in the freezer and I'm thinking about using it for yogurt since it's not going to get used otherwise.

apbfmom
05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Did it work?

margot
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
OK, I made bf yogurt this weekend. I used the fresh pumped milk I had in the fridge from last week and followed the directions in Ruth Yaron's book. Except I didn't add any dry milk powder, since that would defeat the purpose of bf being cow's milk/soy free. The top of it gelled/solidified, and I scooped some out for him to eat- which he loved! :yum But it's still pretty liquidy in the rest of the pint jar.

And the smell of the breastmilk totally grossed me out. :sick I made some soymilk yogurt for myself and can't stomach the thought of eating it. So I took a h.p.t. yesterday, and yep- 8 weeks pregnant! :smile

My milk supply is decreasing and I've read elsewhere that yogurt making doesn't work so well with frozen milk, so I will retire my yogurt thermometer for awhile!

chelsea
05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the pregnancy!! Guess we'll have to wait another year to hear about any more breastmilk yogurt adventures from you! ;)

tree_hugger
05-05-2005, 01:12 AM
:congrats :jump2

PurpleButterfly
05-05-2005, 04:38 AM
What a cool experiment - thanks so much for sharing that with us! I've heard of mother's milk recipes for all kinds of things (soap is my favorite - you save it and give it to your child later in life), but never even thought of making yogurt! :mrgreen

I wanted to mention that the 8th Continent Soymilk is not -url=http://eatwellandbewell.com/why_organic.htm]organic[/url]. Silk is one easy-to-find organic soymilk, and Walmart even has their own generic version which is also organic. :tu

Congrats on your little blessing on the way!!!! :heart :hearts

Soliloquy
05-05-2005, 12:15 PM
I've always wondered about this but thought it was too crunchy to ask about. Thanks for sharing your experiment!

You can make soap out of BM? Cool? Does anyone have directions?

PurpleButterfly
05-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Here ya go!

http://www.natural-instinct.com/mother's_soap.htm

:hearts

chelsea
05-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Breastmilk soap! That is an awesome idea! I'm going to try it (as soon as I find the time to pump 6 cups of milk!) :wow