PDA

View Full Version : Need potluck breakfast idea...

mykidsmom
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find the Recipes folder. :think :shrug

I'm going to a potluck at church this Saturday. It'll be a breakfast one and I haven't got too many ideas on something that would be breakfast oriented, tasty and easy to make since I'll be short on time. Maybe something I could put together the night before and bake in the morning? I have to bring a main entree' and a dessert. I've never gone to a breakfast potluck, usually lunch or dinner. HELP! :D

Punkie
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
There's a recipe in the cookbook section, under breakfasts I think, for a berry french toast that sounds great. Maybe that one?

Kasi
04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't have any recipes on hand at the moment, but how about

A breakfast quiche (pretty easy to do) and a fruit plate.

mykidsmom
04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Oh, a quiche sounds scary. Can you mess those up easily? :lol

and I'll be looking for the "cookbook" forum....

MomTo7
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Very easy and YUMMY! My kids beg for this at least once a week! It keeps great in the and actually taste better if you do it the night before and microwave it the next morning.

2 can of crescent rolls
10 eggs
Roll of sausage
Block of cream cheese

Take a can of crescent rolls and lay them out on a cookie sheet /baking pan. Flatten it out to the edges. Do the same to another pan. Preheat over according to roll directions.

Cook one roll of sausage well and set it aside.
Take 10 eggs and scramble them.
When the eggs are done, remove from heat and add one block of cream cheese and stir in the sausage.
Spread the mixture out over flattened rolls and cover with the other flattened rolls.

Cook for about 10 minutes or until golden and let cool. Cut into squares and serve. It actually taste just as good cold but can be micro waved with no problems.

For desert we love to mix a little powered sugar with cream cheese and dip strawberries in it. But really any freash fruit is great anytime of day.

MySeoulChild
04-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I typically make a good bread pudding. I love to make it with the brioche or challah from Trader Joe's. It's like buttah!

I spray a 9X13 with nonstick spray.

Cube up the bread into 1" cubes (or 1/2" if you like).

Sometimes I add diced peaches or apples for variety

Mix about a pint of cream (or fat free half and half) with 4 eggs (or egg beaters).

Pour over the bread, pressing it all down and making sure all the bread is soaking up the egg mixture.

Then, I take a half stick of butter and cut it into pats, dotting the entire top with the butter.

I usually let it soak overnight, then pop it in a 350 degree oven in the morning for about 35-45 minutes, until center is firm.

Then, I either make a creme anglaise, butter sauce, or whiskey sauce:

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup Irish whiskey

Combine sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for a few minutes. Stir in whiskey; let simmer until the alcohol has cooked off and the flavors are blended, about 5 to 6 minutes.

nutmeggmama
04-19-2005, 12:01 PM
would you like a recipe for a make ahead breakfast cassarole. make it the night before and bake it in the morning
Its totally rich, but very tasty. And we always make cinnamon rolls and/or a tea ring.

mykidsmom
04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Oh, yummmmy! Alright I've got both recipes down. They sound so good! :yum

Nutmegmommy-
I'd love your recipe! The more the better! :D

mamame
04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
I have 2 recipes that I recently used for our Pastor's Good Friday Brunch and both were hits. I made them both up the night before, popped them in the oven in the AM, showered and they were ready to go when I was. Here ya go!

Ann

Holiday Morning French Toast

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
3 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1" slices
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

1) Combine brown sugar, butter and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a 13X9" baking dish. Add apples and cranberries, toss to coat well. Spread apple mixture evenly over bottom of baking idsh. Arrange slices of bread on top.
2) Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining 2 tsp. cinnamon until well blended. Pour mixture over bread, soaking bread completely. Cover and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
3) Bake, covered with aluminum foik, in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Serve warm. For an eye-catching presentation, loosen edges of baking dish and invert onto a large serving platter.

Overnight Egg Casserole

8 slices bread, cubed
3/4 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 lbs. bulk pork sausage or Italian sausage
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/4 cup chicken broth

Place bread cubes in a greased 13X9" baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese; set aside. In a skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain fat. Crumble sausage over the cheese and bread. Beat eggs, milk, mustard, soup and broth together; pour over sausage. Cover and refrigerate overnight or atleast 2-3 hours before baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or just until set.

gracefuljourney
04-20-2005, 04:48 AM
Good suggestions already . . .

You could also take muffins . . . those can be made ahead of time or
a large bowl of fruit salad.

nutmeggmama
04-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Ok, I dont measure too much...is that a problem???
And Its extremely versitile, so i change stuff around.
The night before you want to eat this, take a 9x13 glass pan...

2-3 large russet potatoes baked, shredded, and browned, like hash browns. -or- a bag of pre shredded frozen hashbrowns, cooked.
layer in bottom of pan. (if you used a fat to brown the potatoes, just put them in, if not, oil/butter the pan. I usually butter it cause I dont use very much fat in my non stick pan to brown the baked potatoes)
Softly scramble a dozen eggs. They can be a little wet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a few pinches of nutmeg
layer eggs on top of the potatoes.
Spread a layer of sour cream on top of eggs. I usually use about a cup.
Now, either brown a pound of bulk sausage, or dice 1/2 pound bacon, and brown/crisp. Sprinkle on top of creamy eggs. You can use both, one, or do half of the pan in each...
Simple veggies: just dice green onion/scallions and sprinkle on top
More complex: saute' onions and/or mushrooms and/or red or green peppers (You can also use LOTs of veggies, and no meat :shrug)
(we usually do sauted onions and mushrooms, or green onions and mushrooms)
Sprinkle 2-3 cups shredded cheddar on top (8-12 oz)
Cover with foil or ovenproof lid
In am, take out of fridge, bake at 375 for 20-30 mins. It should be bubbling and getting brown. If its not brown enough, take lid/foil off for last 5-10 mins.