PDA

View Full Version : Question for Leslie...

Sara
04-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey, Leslie! I was just reading through the Ambleside site and I noticed that a Leslie on the advisory board has three sons and one daughter. I noticed you commented the other day that you were sure that nothing like that (I think we were talking about Pearls, etc.) would end up that website. Do you know that because you are on the advisory board? Is that you? If so, that is so cool! :) :highfive :tu

Leslie
04-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, that's me! :mrgreen I'm pretty much webmaster there, so nothing goes up on the site that I don't put up. So, there will never be any Pearl/Ezzo/Woodshed stuff posted there. From what I'm reading of Charlotte Mason's books, she wouldn't have gone along with that kind of strict control, although she didn't go for permissiveness at all, either. I wonder what she would have thought of grace-based discipline?

Sara
04-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Leslie,

That is so neat! I kind of put two and two together because it stood out to me that you had the three older boys and then your little girl. :) I am reading through the website. There is a lot of information to digest!

I've been reading some of the CM series online and I agree that she wasn't permissive, but she does seem to have such a respectful attitude toward children even while stressing the importance of obedience, etc. I think some of her views on discipline would certainly be influenced by the time and place in which she lived.

Leslie
04-18-2005, 06:21 PM
<<she wasn't permissive, but she does seem to have such a respectful attitude toward children even while stressing the importance of obedience, etc.>>

Yes, that's what makes me think she would liked the kind of approach in Crystal's book and what I read from Joanne. It's not permissive, and expects that children will be respectful and not running the household like tyrants, but yet it's respectful and gentle at the same time. That's what I "hear" when I read Charlotte Mason, so it seems to me like they mesh very well together.

Her views on scheduling babies seems very much influenced by Victorian times, though! :wow But I'll bet she would have changed her mind about that if she had access to the information we have nowadays. She liked to be up on the latest research.

Sara
04-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I haven't read any of the baby stuff yet because I've just been reading pieces and parts but the scheduling stuff does not surprise me. Even in this day and age it seems like routine and scheduling are more popular in England. Although maybe I just think that because I watch shows like "Super Nanny" and "Nanny 911." :lol

I'm planning to order the whole series because I've really enjoyed what I've read so far. Do you know of a good place to order from? I've started price comparing a little, but I know I have to wait until next month to order so I haven't been too serious yet about finding it.

Leslie
04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Sara, I don't know of a place that has really good prices. You might see if anyone is selling a used copy if cost is an issue.

erinee
04-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Ebay often has them. They have several sets available now, in fact. :)

Stonebeck Farm
04-19-2005, 11:42 AM
That is really cool Leslie- :clap :tu
I only wish you had the same control of the CM Preschool List that is referenced from the site. I joined when DS was just about 3 (now 5 ) and quit after not even year because I was so tired of the responses to "parenting type questions." The then (not sure if they are still there) moderators advocated harsh discipline. I left the day the moderator told a mom to bite her son back hard to teach him not to bite. :sick The Pearls and Ezzo were always overly recommended and the posts recommending the Clarksons were mostly dismissed. I am comfortable/confident enough with CM (read her originals as well as lots of other resources) to not need the emial list. I really didn't feel up to always arguing with other "veteran" moms who knew it all.

It is nice to know though that I won't have to see the links advocated at the Ambleside site! (I printed out all the curriculum a couple of years ago and already put it in a binder. I'm modifying it to fit my family's needs. )
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Edited as spell check changed Ambleside to admin and "missed" a few words that were spelled right but not what I meant :blush)

Leslie
04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Melissa, I know Ted Tripp has been very popular in the CM circuit. I finally got the book since it came so highly recommended by so many CM moms (although I never had time to read it!) It wasn't until I joined this message board that I learned anything about his book.

<<The Peals and Ezzo were always overly recommended and the posts recommending the Clarksons were mostly dismissed.>>

That really is odd. The Clarksons are very popular among CM'ers.

Stonebeck Farm
04-20-2005, 05:18 AM
That really is odd. The Clarkson's are very popular among CM'ers.

I was surprised too! From what I read from Charlotte Mason, she would not have advocated what was being posted. :rolleyes It seemed that the there was a split philosophy being presented- one for "child rearing" and one for educating. There were always CM type responses presented- but then the veterans would jump in and say it wasn't practical/Biblical/etc. (Yes, I also saw lots of Ted Tripp recommended- which really surprised me too. And yet none of it should really surprise me as all three authors are pushed in the Christian homeschool circles and many CM fans haven't read alot of CM.)

While living in England I got to visit Ambleside. :cool It was really fun. The college gave me for free the last two books they had about Charlotte Mason- I got them from the registration/reception desk. ( I think they have other books for sale in the visitor center.) They thought it was funny that Americans would come visit the college to ask about Charlotte. We asked a few of the current students what they knew about the founder of their college (even though it was absorbed by another university later on.) Not a single student ever heard of Charlotte Mason. She is not even discussed in the education courses. We hung out for a while to soak up the "atmosphere." My son was 1 at the time and had fun rolling down the large hill behind the main building near the dormitories. Most of the college looks like it did when Charlotte was there.

Leslie
04-20-2005, 08:18 AM
I was surprised too! From what I read from Charlotte Mason, she would not have advocated what was being posted. :rolleyes It seemed that the there was a split philosophy being presented- one for "child rearing" and one for educating.

That is really odd, since her whole philosophy and message was about the whole package, raising up children to be totally complete, responsible adults.

And yet none of it should really surprise me as all three authors are pushed in the Christian homeschool circles and many CM fans haven't read alot of CM.)

That seems to be one of the biggest weaknesses of the CM movement, there are so many myths and half-truths because a large percentage of CM followers have accepted other people's word for what CM is, rather than finding out for themselves. Charlotte Mason herself would have been disappointed in that. One of the things she wanted teachers and parents to pass on to children was a habit of finding the truth and basing our opinions on true facts, and not accepting opinions based on hearsay. Yet a lot of parents using her methods are doing just that themselves, and missing half of her method because of it!