PDA

View Full Version : My 2 year old

beatlemommy
04-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I am new to gentle parenting, so I have lots of questions. We have "quiet time" here from 11-12:30-1:00. Him and his brother(who loves to nap:)share a room, so I have been taking him out so he won't wake him up. I have been letting him lay down on my bed, but all he wants to do is jump, yell, and get up. I tried laying down with him. That didn't work. Then I gave him two choices, that he could lay down on my nice big bed and look at books and listen to music or he could go lay down in the playpen(cause I *know* he is tired). He chose to get up and jump some more, so I brought him down to the playpen where he is having a fit. I don't really want to acknowledge the fit, what should I be doing? Did I mess up?

beatlemommy
04-20-2005, 03:06 PM
ok..........nevermind :mrgreen

LauraK
04-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Just wanted to say you might get some more help in the gentle discipline forum. I think you are reasonable to expect him to have some quiet/nap time in the day. I wish I could tell you what you should be doing...all I can say is I hope things get better and that maybe the gentle discipline folks can give you some advice. I am about to go post there myself about our nighttime battles which are driving my dh and I crazy. I have a two year old too.

Hang in there.

snlmama
04-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Have you tried letting his brother nap in your room so that you can put him in their room? Two year olds are testing boundaries, so you just need to be firm and consistent and eventually he'll get it. Some kids are more persistent about this than others.

ArmsOfLove
04-21-2005, 03:30 PM
I need a little more info. how are you putting him down for his nap? can you describe that?

as far as the fit . . . did he calm down and go to sleep or work himself up more?

beatlemommy
04-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think I figured it out. He has always loved his crib, and the alone time he gets in it. I thought he would love being in my bed, but I don't think he liked the freedom strangely. I ended up putting my pack n' play beside my bed. He seems to like being "caged" in by it. Is that normal? He has been quiet the last two days without his brother or me as his audience :woohoo

ArmsOfLove
04-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Yes--it's normal :) children need boundaries and some children need tighter more secure boundaries than other children do :) I'm glad you found a solution!

LauraK
04-21-2005, 09:11 PM
My dd#1 is similar. It is like the physical boundary gave her the freedom to relax and if mom is there she feels she should be talking with mom, playing with mom, etc. Being in a crib meant there is nothing else to do but relax and sleep or be alone and which is what they need. I wish someone would do the same to me sometimes.