PDA

View Full Version : clay and sally clarkson

margot
04-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Does anyone use their homeschooling material? I think it's called "Educating the WholeHearted Child"- not a step by step curriculum, but based on wholesome books? I really like her books "The Ministry of Motherhood" and "Mission of Motherhood".
Margot

Leslie
04-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I have the book and I've liked it (it's been probably five years since I read it). They do a sort of Charlotte Mason-based eclectic style of schooling. As I remember, their book offered some suggestions and explained a little about what they do, but it would require a lot of filling in yourself to actually do. But then, a lot of Charlotte Mason/eclectic/unschoolers do that anyway.

Sara
04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I have read the book and I really liked it. Definitely a good book! :tu As Leslie said, it isn't going to tell you exactly what to do, but it has a lot of great ideas and gives you some good things to think about as you figure out your homeschooling style.

ArmsOfLove
04-17-2005, 11:05 AM
I also wouldn't call it material, so much as laying out their approach--which I believe is beautiful :) Be warned that in this book there is talk of spankings and punishment as it was written before he exegeted the rod verses and wrote his most recent book where he recants his previous understnading. It really seems out of place, too, in the context of the rest of the book which is gracious and gentle and encouraging both of parents and children.

This Busy Mom
04-17-2005, 12:08 PM
He's the author of Heartfelt Discipline, right? My dh is supposedly reading that right now (I am praying he's picked it up).

Leslie
04-17-2005, 01:45 PM
He's the author of Heartfelt Discipline, right?

Right, I think he switched to gentler discipline after Educating the Wholehearted Child.

Stonebeck Farm
04-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I borrowed one at Christmas time I believe was the revised edition becasue it included his new understanding of discipline! I loved it. :tu

Sara
04-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes, I think I must have read a revised version as well because I do not remember any mention at all of spanking. :shrug

ArmsOfLove
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I believe was the revised edition becasue it included his new understanding of discipline! I loved it. VERY awesome to know! Thank you! I may get a copy for myself now that that's not in there :D

margot
04-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll add it to my wish list!

ChristineG
04-19-2005, 04:49 PM
I borrowed one at Christmas time I believe was the revised edition becasue it included his new understanding of discipline! I loved it. :tu

:heart I have always loved the Clarkson's writings. I have been continually uplifted and affirmed by Sally's books, such as "Seasons of Mother's Heart" and "The Mission of Motherhood". Also, 7 or 8 years ago when we were just trying to figure out what our hs style would be, "Educating the Wholehearted Child" had a profound and wonderful impact on me. I was somewhat bothered by the discipline section, but found I was able to ignore it. Because of the huge number of hsers I respect who are also spankers, I have really learned to do the LLL thing of taking what works for me and leaving the rest.

That being said, as soon as Heartfelt Discipline came out, I read it and embraced it with pure joy. :heart The Clarkson's have an opportunity to effect so many homes. I thank God, from the bottom of my heart, for two people who are so humble and teachable. I hope I am this teachable. To be willing to retract something you said that you thought was scriptural and say you made a mistake and that the Lord has opened your eyes to see that this was not His best for parents and children is just so...Holy Spirit-led. I think the Clarkson's are terrific. I also really admire them for revising ETWHC, probably ONLY because of their new understanding of discipline. I'm sure God will say to them, "Well done, good and faithful servants!" :) :heart